We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Interest Free credit? Admin Fee add on?
Ade-Bham
Posts: 2 Newbie
I went into Currys today and saw a really nice Plasma TV and Blu Ray Player package and although I hadn't gone into the store intending on buying a TV, I was interested in the deal of "12 Months Interest free credit!" and a big sign saying "Buy Now Pay later" so I talked to the assistant and agreed that I was going to buy, we even sorted out a delivery date!! - I even asked the assistant about web vouchers and if it was worth getting it from their website, but he said they had put a stop to all that.
When we got to the till and he totted everything up he explained that I had to pay a small deposit, and the rest would have to be paid prior to the end of the 12 month period. Okay No problem... He then went on to say that there was a £25 Admin settlement fee that would have to be paid at the end also? I said well effectively this isnt "Interest free" as I am being charged something? He said no it was nothing to do with them but it was to do with the Bank? Very annoyed that I was still being effectively charged an extra Fee I said If that was the case I wouldnt go ahead with the sale. He said there was nothing they could do! So I wlaked out of the store and they lost out on a £1000 sale!!
Funnily enough when I got home I looked on the voucher sites and found a valid 6% off voucher which would save me more than I had been turned away for?? I later found the same TV from Laskeys at £838!!
My point here though is how can these people get away with "Interest free" deals then charge you at the end when you pay up? :mad:
I say dont fall for this rip off and take your trade elsewhere!!!
When we got to the till and he totted everything up he explained that I had to pay a small deposit, and the rest would have to be paid prior to the end of the 12 month period. Okay No problem... He then went on to say that there was a £25 Admin settlement fee that would have to be paid at the end also? I said well effectively this isnt "Interest free" as I am being charged something? He said no it was nothing to do with them but it was to do with the Bank? Very annoyed that I was still being effectively charged an extra Fee I said If that was the case I wouldnt go ahead with the sale. He said there was nothing they could do! So I wlaked out of the store and they lost out on a £1000 sale!!
Funnily enough when I got home I looked on the voucher sites and found a valid 6% off voucher which would save me more than I had been turned away for?? I later found the same TV from Laskeys at £838!!
My point here though is how can these people get away with "Interest free" deals then charge you at the end when you pay up? :mad:
I say dont fall for this rip off and take your trade elsewhere!!!
0
Comments
-
You're probably overpaying at Currys by 25% anyway - interest free credit brings them in a big commission from the finance company I would imagine. Save up instead and pay cash.0
-
I could have paid cash if there was any benefit, but I though Interest free I can save my money and get more out of it until they needed the money!! Or even better as I found out later on... buy it on the Internet and save over £260!! :j0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards