Council Tax re-branding - Question

I have a question and wondered if anyone can help.

I followed Martin's advice and investigated Council Tax banding of the other houses in our street.

We are a Band E property (3 bed detached) other 3 bed homes in street are same. One house is a large 4 bed and is Band F.

Although the bandings for the different properties seem to match, I think we are all in too high bands.

My house was built in 1996 and sold new back then at £88,000 (we bought house in 2001 from people who bought it from new). I think we should be Band D. I think all our houses were incorrectly banded when they were built.

My parents live in same town (over the other side of it) in a nice 4 bed (built 40 years ago) and they are Band E.

Do you think it's worthwhile trying to claim on the basis of the integrity of the list??

What do you think???

Thanks
L
x

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Follow Martin's advice and focus on getting YOUR house rebanded. You can compare to properties in other streets if your street doesn't help. I did with other blocks locally and am now the only flat in my block that is a band A (like you I am confident my entire block is wrongly banded).
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In my area house prices did not return to 1991 levels until 1997/8 and also house price indices are not accurate, so E may be correct. It is still worth pursuing however.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Lizzybop
    Lizzybop Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to Fire Fox and lincroft1710 for your replies. Yes I got half way through the process and then got cold feet as all the other houses were the same.

I will investigate more houses on the whole estate and perhaps some other nearby ones - good call Fire Fox.

Thanks again

L
    x
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Our house is one of a pair of semi`s, the other side was band B, we were band C, we quiered this using martins template letters and advice, 3 weeks later we got reply that were were correct we were in the wrong band, we subcequently got rebanded to band B, and a refund dating back to 1993 for £1500 !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure