help, please; 21st birthday gift - DFW style

Options
My daughter has been dating a lovely young man for a few months now and it's his 21st birthday in September. I'd like to give him something to mark the occasion but not only are we strapped for cash but I had decided to radically downsize birthday (and Christmas) gifts with family/friends this year and I don't feel it appropriate to start by makining exceptions.
As a bit of background, this lovely young man has had a rotten couple of years including the premature death of his father 3 months ago. The rest of his family are 'pulling out the stops' to give him a wonderful birthday including expensive gifts and a huge party (he doesn't know about this yet) and I don't want to appear mean or unfeeling by giving what may appear a 'meagre' gift.
I'm prepared to put lots of time and effort into a suitable gift and I have a budget of £20. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks,
NS

'Live simply so that others may simply live'

Comments

• bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    People always end up with Newspapers from the day they were born, but how about maybe a magazine from his birthdate? If he's really into something - I don't know, like music or cars, you could get hold of his birthdate issue of Kerrang! or Max Power or something. I did that with Kerrang! for my boyfriend a couple of years back, we've nearly got his birthday issue from every year of his life ;) geeky. Have framed the earliest one, but it's quite a rare mag (with big permed hair on the front cover) ;)
  • loopyloulou_3
    loopyloulou_3 Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    i brought my sister a terramundi for her 21st 4 years ago - you can get them personalised from their site!
    reasonably priced, MSE friendly, pressie with a personal touch. My sis still has hers and loved it!

http://www.terramundi.co.uk/
  • kittykat100
    Options
    A bottle of Champange always goes down well! You could get it nicely wrapped up and boxed. All for under £20.

Kittyx

Life is sometimes a bit pants but occasionally you can wear your french knickers! :D
  • linniestorm
    Options
    Is he environmental? Or a rock fan? Because you can buy trees planted in celebrity forests these days for around £20 and some even have 'Tree Tubes' which is quite good for a lasting momento. They come with maps and info and certificates and the like. Something a bit different that should hopefully last forever!

There's a coldplay one here:
    http://www.carbonneutral.com/coldplay/

And all the other celebrity forests on offer here:
    http://www.carbonneutral.com/shop/results.asp?cat1=Celebrity%20Promotions
    1st LBM (Pre-Career Change): 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36

2nd LBM: 10 December 2019 Current Debt £25,322 [April 2020] | Worst Debt: £27,444
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    Nice photo frame with a favourite picture of your daughter and him in it? Not particularly MSE but habitat, paperchase and heals both have quite good discounts on these items now that the sales are coming to an end
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Options
    Tondella wrote:
    Nice photo frame with a favourite picture of your daughter and him in it? Not particularly MSE but habitat, paperchase and heals both have quite good discounts on these items now that the sales are coming to an end
    That's a grand one - and don't most camera shops get snaps done on Canvas? Sure that couldn't cost more than £20 and will last forever (again, not very MSE but special)
  • Wonder_Girl
    Options
    Can you get your hands on piccys of his dad and family etc that you could get copied?

I ask because my friends mom passed away and for her birthday we made her a collage of pictures of her mom and family and friends. She loved it, and it still takes pride of place on her wall all these years later.
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport