PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Question about blueberries

Options
My blueberries are now turning dark purple which I presume means that they're ripe. However, we've picked one tonight and it's green inside. I guess that's not right, but how can I tell if they're ready for picking?

Comments

• peanutpie05
    peanutpie05 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, I'm not a blueberry expert ... but I do have a punnet in my fridge:) Whenever I've had blueberries they are pale (opaque) green on the inside ... so sounds like yours should be ok. Have you tried tasting it ... if it is very bitter then maybe its not ready but if it's sweet then should be ok.

HTH:)
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're green inside even when they're ripe. When you cook them the insides turn purple. Just taste one. They're sweet when they're ripe. I've been growing blueberries for a few years. You have to wait until they're blue/purple all over. What variety have you got?
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, really don't know about variety, I'll take a look later and see if the tag is still on the plant.
    Thanks for your help, it sounds like my berries are ready for the muffin tin!!
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am interested in growing blueberries. Do you need two of them to cross pollinate/fertilise or whatevery the word is?

Also can they be grown on a pot on my patio

Thanks
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They are meant to be green inside;) But honestly the best way to tell if a fruit you know to be edible is ripe, is to eat one:D
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    When the fruits are really dark purple and look ready for picking, leave them for another 3 to 5 days. This boosts the sugar content and makes them sweeter.

Some varieties are as tart as gooseberries, though and will not sweeten up.

But the general rule is to leave them as long as possible.

Someone asked whether they can be grown in pots on a patio. Yes they can - but it restricts their growth and you get very little fruit. They need a bucket of rainwater (preferably) every week. When grown in the ground, they are fast growers and each bush should produce about 2lbs of fruit.

Hope that helps.

K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family