Student Loan Overpayment Help!!

Options
Hi,

Im new to the forum and need to some adivce regarding an overpayment of student loans.

The full story is that the student loans company have overpaid me by a huge sum to me of £2000. This was done in my first two years of university when THEY made a mistake calculating my parents income and paid me grants that i wasnt entitled to.

However, the problem is that they have threatened to take away my loans that i am due in the next few weeks, or stop any future loans that i apply for if i dont repay this amount, which is a problem as i want to do a teaching degree next year.

Do i have to pay this back if it wasnt my fault or if i do have to pay it back can i do it on my terms, instead of the one payment of £2000?

Many thanks

Martyn

Comments

• laney85
    laney85 Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    They are genrally willing to accept instalments if you call and discuss.
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    LIke Laney i can vouch for this. I had an overpayment but as i am off work long term sick (reason i had to leave uni in the first place) i negiotated with them to pay it back at £5 a month....

It's a pain but quite common they get it wrong and be prepared for them to ring every 6 months asking for more money which I always tell them when i have more money coming in then i'll pay you more.
  • Marypopps_2
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem except they have overpaid me £4042! They basically have given me grants I was never entitled to despite me checking with them on numerous occasions throughout the year that they have used the correct income details. I have been through the complaints and appeals procedure and am now being told they 'have no record' of my conversations. Funny that seeing as they agreed before and I have names and dates.

I also want to train to be a teacher but dont know where to go from here. I even rang a solicitor but no help unless I spend a fortune.

Any ideas?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Marypopps wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem except they have overpaid me £4042! They basically have given me grants I was never entitled to despite me checking with them on numerous occasions throughout the year that they have used the correct income details. I have been through the complaints and appeals procedure and am now being told they 'have no record' of my conversations. Funny that seeing as they agreed before and I have names and dates.

I also want to train to be a teacher but dont know where to go from here. I even rang a solicitor but no help unless I spend a fortune.

Any ideas?

Surely if you are intelligent enough to be an undergraduate you are intelligent enough to notice a £4000 overpayment?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Surely if you are intelligent enough to be an undergraduate you are intelligent enough to notice a £4000 overpayment?

You don't know it's overpaid, you only know that you've been awarded the money you don't know that you aren't entitled to it as usually you have provided all the necessary documentation and assume they are right and know the rules...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure