Weight loss help!

Options
Hi all

Our big day is in early July and I am hoping to lose around 10 lbs before the date. I am having trouble with my will power though as I am also trying to quit smoking and am eating like a horse now I've stopped cigarettes. I can't seem to quit the smoking and diet at the same time!

Has anyone got any tips to help me? I am not overweight (5'7", 10 stone 3 lbs) but would really like to be lighter when we marry, or at least tone up my upper arms (dress is strapless!)

We dont have a car, so I walk everywhere, but this is the only exercise I get. The last time I dieted and exercised simultaneously (January), I actually put on 2 lbs after a week, so I gave up!!

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• laura2481
    laura2481 Posts: 4,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 April 2010 at 9:27PM
    Options
    I'm doing slimming world diet. I lost 9Ib over 7 weeks. (had a blip this week due to birthday and easter and then a cold but will soon be back on track)

ps slimming world might me quite good for you as it lets you eat unlimited quantities of certain foods so might help you avoid snackage on bad things while you beat your quitting smoking cravings..:)
  • laura2481
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And try HERE for toning exercise to target whichever area you need to, to suit your dress. :)
  • Plans_all_plans
    Options
    Thanks for that Laura. I have just done the excruciating Triceps Dips with bent kness off the chair edge and can barely type now! It must be doing some good!
  • lynnegj
    lynnegj Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    you might have put on weight because muscle is heavier than fat, so if you tone-up and burn off the fat you will look fantastic but still weigh slightly more :)
    Got a job at Inchmahome Priory, woooooooooo!! :D
    :heart2: Getting married 28th May 2011 :heart2:
  • Plans_all_plans
    Options
    Hey lynne, yeah I know that, but it just really really depressed me to see that I weighed more, even tho in my mind I knew about muscle weighing more etc!! I just couldn't get past the number on the scales! This time round I'm just gonna have to stick to my guns!
  • lynnegj
    lynnegj Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure you'll do great :). I have some serious love handles to remove... what excersises do you do for that?
    Got a job at Inchmahome Priory, woooooooooo!! :D
    :heart2: Getting married 28th May 2011 :heart2:
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eat nothing but protein for 3 days.
  • vickyw
    vickyw Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    I am currently doing the Body For Life For Women programme and it is amazing!! It's a 12 week programme (so you should finish just in time for your big day) and has a massive focus on exercise. You need to eat a high protein diet and exercise at least 6 days a week. It sounds pretty intense and I suppose it is but you really do see results.
    I'm in week 8 and have gone from a size 14 to a 12 but I don't weigh much less, only 4lb down. As has been mentioned above muscle does weigh more than fat but it is also five times denser than fat, so in other words 1lb of fat will take up FIVE TIMES the space as 1lb of muscle. Therefore you might not lose much weight but you will slim down and your clothes will fit you better.
    I cannot reccomend this book enough to people!
    :jGetting married 17th July 2010 woohoo :j
  • laura2481
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lynnegj wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll do great :). I have some serious love handles to remove... what excersises do you do for that?
    Check HERE and look at exercises for Form-fitted, sheath, column, hourglass, mermaid and trumpet style dresses-
    the exercise for obliques is what you are after...:D
  • bubble96
    bubble96 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    what you said about the toning etc and about putting on weight last time, i think the key is to not only track your weight but measure key areas such as tummy and hips, as you may still loose inches even if you gain weight, so exercise is still going to be a good way to increase weight loss and get the toned look you want. Also have you seen on here that weight watchers are doing 3 month trial for £30 and there is £30 cashback on quidco - think it was in this weeks email.
    getting married: 02/10/10
    weight loss goal: 2st
    lost so far: 11lb
    (and the dress fits!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business