We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New Surround Sound System Advice

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice if possible. I bought a Panasonic G10 tv in the autumn and recently purchased a PS3 to use for gaming and blu ray. I dont have Sky but use a Thomson freeview recorder for SD. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what surround sound system I should go for to complement these the best? I also have an Xbox so it would for quite a lot of gaming and watching movies. Ideally it will be black to match everything else. I dont really know much about what the best audio set up would be and could really do with some help!
Thanks:beer:

Comments

  • Vuze
    Vuze Posts: 230 Forumite
    As with anything, it depends a lot on your budget, but I think for about £200 you can get something decent, there is something like the Panasonic SC-PT470EB-K which is a DVD based surround system (you have bluray on your PS3 so a DVD based system will work out cheaper) - and this one was £175 from Comet and packs 1000 watts of sound.
    Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark. :D
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,807
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can't offer any suggestions on the surround system - I've got the Sony DAV-DZ280. It's a good system, even at low volume(lucky neighbours) but has a built in dvd player so would be pointless if you've got a ps3.
    Just a point to note . I'm pretty sure that Freeview doesn't broadcast anything in surround sound so you'll only get the full 5.1 surround from DVD's
  • I you really need an a/v receiver. It gives you the oportunity to connect a variety of devices such as your ps3, xbox, sky hd receiver and also gives you the additional flexability to choose a speaker setup to suit your room. Ipod docks are usually available and you can sometimes build a hifi setup around your receiver, i.e. dab tuner or record turntable.

    I would reccomend this sony receiver which supports all hd audio formats (Dolby True HD and DTS HD) for only £239 from richer sounds..

    richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh800/sony-strdh800

    Example speaker setups from £79 here:

    richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/speakers/speaker-packages

    Dont forget the hdmi cables ;) good luck :-)
  • slangrish
    slangrish Posts: 81 Forumite
    thanks to everyone for their help. will check out richer sounds and a few places this week!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.