6 year old debt help

Options
I have a debt that I haven't paid since August 2000. I have received approx 3 letters from different companies since that time, the last one being from approx a year ago. I responded to NONE of them.

Today I received a 'postcard' from a company call Hunter Forrester & Co which are based in Worcestershire which says...
"Mr.***** will be calling on you to discuss a personal matter on Wednesday (no date though!) between 8.00am & 7.30pm. Please call to confirm on free phone *********** .
Quoting reference number ******."

I have never received any correspondance from this company, EVER. Are they allowed to just send someone round without having sent any form of letter? I also think it's a bit odd that they haven't put a date to say when this person will be calling round.

I can find nothing about the company on Google or companies house.
It's now August 2006, so the 6 year rule is pretty close (I can't remember the date a payment was made in 2000 but I'm pretty sure it was some time in July 2000.
I have acknowledged nothing to any of the collection companies, neither in written form, by phone or in person.

I'm very worried about someone turning up on my doorstep out of the blue, I've yet to tell my wife but don't want her to be scared, which I am as I type this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its never happened to me but I've read on these boards that it is used as a scare tactic to get people to call up.

I believe the advice at the time was to ignore it and that nobody turned up - but dont hold me to it.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • simate
    simate Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    jessicamb wrote:
    Its never happened to me but I've read on these boards that it is used as a scare tactic to get people to call up.

I believe the advice at the time was to ignore it and that nobody turned up - but dont hold me to it.

Thankyou :) , I am really hoping it is a scare tactic. I will cross every human body part I have that's possible, touch wood and everything else that's possible lol.
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Options
    If someone were to turn up at your door the have no rights or powers! They are simply a negotiater. If you don't want him in your house you don't have to let him and he can't force entry. ;)

If I was you I'd check your credit reports to see whether you have a CCJ or anything against your name coz if ballifs get involved it's another matter!
  • simate
    Options
    If someone were to turn up at your door the have no rights or powers! They are simply a negotiater. If you don't want him in your house you don't have to let him and he can't force entry. ;)

If I was you I'd check your credit reports to see whether you have a CCJ or anything against your name coz if ballifs get involved it's another matter!

I signed up to CreditExpert and am waiting for a PIN # to come in the post so I can view my credit report online.
    Surely if I have a ccj against my name I'd have had something in the post from the courts?
    As I said, it's been 6 years now, so surely nothing can be done by anyone as I made no contact myself?
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    Options
    simate wrote:
    I signed up to CreditExpert and am waiting for a PIN # to come in the post so I can view my credit report online.
    Surely if I have a ccj against my name I'd have had something in the post from the courts?
    As I said, it's been 6 years now, so surely nothing can be done by anyone as I made no contact myself?

Have you paid for the creditexpert service! If so cancel within the first 30 days so it doesn't cost you anything! It's not worth the money in my opinion!

Well you would expect to have received letters and what not but don't assume anything! Things have a habit of going missing!

I'm not fully sure how it works to be honest. They clearly have the correct address for you so I don't know whether them just saying they have posted you letters is proof enough! :confused:
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    It may be useful, here is a letter that you could give to them if the debt is stature barred, i.e. over 6 years:

Name of Creditor
    Address of Creditor

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account No/Reference No:

No debt is acknowledged to you. You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”.

The last correspondence/payment/acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)

Good luck!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • freebird65
    freebird65 Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent letter! It might also be a good idea to dig out your paperwork/bank statements etc from that time (assuming you've kept any records) so you can check exactly when the last payment/contact was made so you don't accidentally correspond with these people before the six years is up. it's very easy after such a long time to get dates muddled up!

Good luck.
  • simate
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you up to date. I joined creditexpert for the free 30 day trial and will be cancelling before that.
    Which is the best credit report service to use?
  • simate
    Options
    Well I got my creditexpert pin and have looked at my credit report. the loan in question shows as having been settled on 15/04/2001, not by me I might add, I assume when they sold the debt on. As it shows on my credit report as settled does that mean I'm off the hook or not?
    Oh and I have no ccj's :)
    Another thing is it shows me not having lived here since late 2003 because of not being on the electoral register so they can't be sure I live here, or can they?
  • simate
    Options
    Does anyone know any of the above answers?
    Many thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport