🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Are my calculations correct?

Options
I was reading through moozie's "To scared to work out what I owe" thread earlier and I came across some advice from Southern Scouser about how you calculate how much you owe on a loan. I took a loan from my bank 12 months ago for £20500 over 60months at a rate of 17.7%, paying £502.97p/m. I am going back to the bank soon to see if they can get me a better deal (according to internet banking they would give me a rate between 9.9-11.7% - better) and was wondering how much was outstanding on my current loan. According to internet banking it is 17500, however with SS's calculation I work it out to be £16399.99:

£20500 divided by 60months = £341.66p/m
£341.66 x 48 (the remaining number of months of the loan) = £16399.99

Is this correct? :confused: Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Claireybear
    Claireybear Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks right to me!

Definitely search around for a better arte though, it looks like you are paying over the odds!

Claire
  • Mule
    Mule Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you :)
    I think that deal was all the bank could do for me at the time - with the proviso that I didn't borrow any more with them for 12months/had fixed overdraft etc. I think that those things must have improved my "scoring" with them as they have told me they can now get me a better deal (phew!)
    Have tried with a couple of other companies over the year but to no avail.
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have any PPI? That is usually front loaded and interest bearing.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Mule
    Options
    No I don't have PPI.

Do you think that it says I owe £17500 on internet banking becasue that is interest added on?
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    Options
    Mule

I've just put the details into the snowballer

http://www.whatsthecost.co.uk/snowball.aspx

and it looks like the bank is correct

On a loan of £20,500 it estimates 62 months to repay based on your payment of £502.97 month. During the time you will pay £10,335 in interest. The balance for 12 months in is about 17,500.

It is the interest being added on (which is correct - on a standard loan you are repaying interest at the same time as capital and you pay more interest than capital in the early periods of the loan)
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    in addition to the point made by jessicamb
    you need to consider the T&Cs of the loan...what you need to know if you want to get a new loan and pay off the old one is the current settlement value of the loan which may be different from the value on the internet.
  • Mule
    Options
    Thank you Jessicamb. Shame the bank is right!! I was really pleased earlier when I did those calculations and worked out I owed over £1000 LESS!! (Or so I thought)

D'oh!:rolleyes:
  • Mule
    Options
    Thanks Clapton :) I definitely need to check that out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport