We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Anyone used sabardirect.co.uk?

It seems to have all the hallmarks of a dodgy dealer - no phone number, address, poor design, etc.

And you know what it's like - if a bargain seems too good to be true...

Anyone had any experience? Seems to be registered in Buckinghamshire, and whois suggests its been around a while and they are a limited company.

I'm clearly not going to go ahead unless a few people tell me it's okay...

Comments

  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 939 Forumite
    500 Posts
    Why even contemplate risking it?

    For me unless a website has proper contact details I wouldn't touch them.

    In my opinion the "SafeBuy" isn't worth the pixels it occupies and is often given away free with some domain registration/hosting deals. Sabar Direct are at first glance in breach of SafeBuy's terms:

    2.4 The site must have clearly accessible details of the retailer’s name and address, phone and fax numbers, an email address and details of what information consumers are required to provide to pursue a complaint against the retailer. Consumers must also be advised of their right to no-charge mediation by SafeBuy.

    A cynic may wonder why someone would register with MSE to ask a question about a company no-one ever heard of. A cynic would also expect a few newly registered users pop up with praise for the company.

    Caveat emptor!

    Rufus.
  • RufusA wrote: »
    Why even contemplate risking it?

    A cynic may wonder why someone would register with MSE to ask a question about a company no-one ever heard of. A cynic would also expect a few newly registered users pop up with praise for the company.

    Caveat emptor!

    Rufus.

    Absolutely. I completely agree. I wouldn't risk it unless the consensus was that it was fine.

    I don't talk on forums. I'm offended that you'd be so cynical as to suggest I may have some other motive for asking this question? If nothing else - at least it puts a flag up to warn people if nobody else has used it either...

    I'm not going to feel abashed that I've asked a "newbie" style question - we've all been there and that sort of cynical response is the reason that the internet is full of so-called "experts" making it difficult to build communities based on mutual-respect and understanding. Then again - that's me being a cynic.

    I'll go back to being a MSE stalker again now. Well done for making me feel welcome.

    Thanks for the feedback, no thanks for the tone. Well done on using latin to legitimise your cynicism - you are surely better than the rest of us.

    Absentem laedit !!! ebrio qui litigat.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 939 Forumite
    500 Posts
    I apologise if my tone came across wrong and for not showing more welcome on the forum.

    It's just that there have been a number of newly registered people in the past who have posted a question about dodgy companies and have been shortly accompanied by people praising it.

    Due to the popularity of MSE and the number of sites linking to it, the company gets pushed high up on google searches and anyone searching for the company by name sees a nice thread on MSE signing the praises of the company.

    In recent times we've had internet opticians, "auctioners", electrial goods retailers and the odd "designer" clothing company play this tactic to name like a few.

    There was no critism for asking a "newbie" question, I welcome newbies, particularly if they become regular posters who can contribute with their knowledge. Please don't be put off and go back to lurking!

    Apologies for the use of Latin, but caveat emptor is often used on here, and even by Martin (albeit with its translated version):

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

    So once again sorry for my tone, and please don't be put off an ebrio like me!

    Rufus.
  • There we go - all friends again now!

    Anyways - I've done the sensible thing and bought through Bigoffers instead. Now there's a bargain shop you can trust! Great prices too. I can't believe they pay me to come on here and say that! (kidding).

    I'll stop being stroppy now!

    Amicitia semper prodest.

    :-)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.