Admitting how much debt you have

Options
Im curious to discuss whether there are others on this site who feel unable to write up the full extent of their debt in their signatures Ive been interested to read various threads as to how people got themselves into and out of debt and I feel that Im making inroads into dealing with my debt and i see it coming down every month but when it comes to actually fessing up and writing the amounts down on my signature im not able to do it i even get into a hot sweat just thinking about doing it. I know how much debt i have and discuss managing our debt on a daily basis with my OH but the thought of sharing the extent of the problem outwith scares me. I often think its because my debt is so large compared to others then i think that its all relative to how much you earn and what would seem a small amount to some would be a huge debt to others. Is there anyone else in the same position?
Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
£2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
Reclaimed fees
MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j

Comments

• Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Options
    This is the only place where I am open about my total debt so it feels like a release for me. No one else knows the true figure and that's the way I'd like to keep it. It could actually lose me my job if they found out I had large debts.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Options
    I know there are some people on here who aren't ready to share their debt figure yet. That's fine, as long as you are taking all the advice on board.

What you must remember is, if you are £1000 in debt or £100,000 in debt (or above) it's all the same if your earnings can't cope with it.

No-one on here judges anyone for the amount they owe - or earn for that matter. We're all in it for the same reason...because we want to see life after debt.

Moozie started a new thread back in February 2006 time called "Too scared to work out what I owe". It's a quite brilliant thread which inspired so many people (myself included) to join up. the support she received was phenomenal. Have a read of that and see how you feel afterwards.

xx
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The important thing is that you are dealing with your debt. You are accepted for who you are on this board -it doesn't matter if you do not feel as far on as you perceive other people to be with their debt isssues. Kerep posting and drawing support and inspiration. One day you will be able to a 'debt free' post.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • blackdoor
    blackdoor Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    National Debtline were very helpful to me.

Write it down, is will help you focus on what you need to do.

I am new to the site and have recently posted my situation. 'Dilemma for new business start up'

Best Wishes
  • oakdale_minx
    oakdale_minx Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean. For some bizarre reason I post all my debt stuff under this user name. I have another user name which I use for my OS posts, and then generally if i'm able to help another MSE'er with maybe a DFW post, or maybe ebay. My other user name is my first name and it's quite unusual and I've converted all my colleagues in the office to using MSE and I was worried they would see my diary.

There's nobody else who knows what I owe and it was painful to write it, although it doesn't matter how much it is, nobody will be judgemental.
  • BestFootForward_2
    Options
    I've recommended this site to loads of people, so I created a new account. That way I can fess all, but still be discrete.

Actually, I've changed my name again as I wasn't happy with me last one.
    Lightbulb moment: June 2006:shocked:
    Debts June 2006: £18,100
    Egg Card [strike]£13,400 [/strike] £12,350; Loan [strike]£3,500[/strike] £2,300; Other [strike]£3,700[/strike] £3,100; Overdraft [strike]£1,500[/strike] £585
    Debts Setp 2006: £15,300
  • PeachPickle
    PeachPickle Posts: 9,924 Forumite
    Options
    I don't like having my debt in my sig. That's why it's there :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd #104 I :heartpuls my Kitten :)and my hat :heartpuls
    OD Girls on Tour 08 - Barcelona - HUGE SUCCESS!
    OD Girls on Tour 09 - Dublin - November!!
    If you believe you can achieve innit!
    Sexy beer?
  • Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Just out of interest, I fleetingly heard on the news today that total borrowing is £1 trillion (or whatever it was) - does this figure include mortgages or is it other borrowing?
  • HomeJames_3
    HomeJames_3 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your views im going to have a look at that thread to see what it says your right if your dealing with your debt im sure at some stage it will be easier to write it down there is always the fear that someone will recognise your username but at the end of the day were all here to deal with our debt and not judge people. im having some trouble with my icons and it wont let me thank people individually so thanks again everyone.
    Official DFW nerd 206 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    £2 savers club joined 25/6/06 £54:dance: (0ver £1200 banked)
    LB moment June 06 Debt payed off so far £36000 DFD March 2010:eek:
    Reclaimed fees
    MBNA £302 RBOS £49.58 Mint £25.95
    PPI: A&L £2074 Freemans £770 MBNA £944:j
  • Catseyez
    Catseyez Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    I had a very difficult time finding the courage to put my debt in my signature. In fact, I only added it once I was debt-free!

Although my debt was minimal compared to some, I felt ashamed that I'd accrued as much as I had. I could never bring myself to actually tell any of my friends/family just how much it was!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport