We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help in finding hair clip / slide please?

Options
Hi all,
I'm looking for a vintagey style hairclip/slide to wear with this dress (but nothing as hoooooge as the one in the pic!)
petra3.jpg?t=1270628121
My hair is going to be up like this, and I'm not wearing a tiara and not having a veil either.
th_3420841139_79da8a858f.jpg
Loads of places had them last year, but I've looked in Monsoon / Accessorise, Claires, BHS etc and cant find anything. There are online shops I know, but really need to see it 'in the flesh' !

Any thoughts please?

Hels ;)
Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they won't! Inevitably they will both be disappointed.
Albert Einstein
:smileyhea

Comments

• weenireeni
    weenireeni Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i know you want to see it in the flesh but etsy have lots of gorgeous hairpieces and often they are modelled on a real person.

good luck!
    2011 biggies: £1000 holiday,£100 all saints voucher, £200 ticketmaster, Links London bracelet, Ted Baker watch, £50 Oliver Bonas
    2011 aim - win enough to save up for baby items!
    2009 wins total £2623 inc break in Iceland!
    2010 wins total £6430 inc break in Dubai!
  • mshelsbels
    mshelsbels Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone bought things from here before?
    http://www.glitzysecrets.com/hair-accessories.html

Cheers!
    H
    Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they won't! Inevitably they will both be disappointed.
    Albert Einstein
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooh yeah! Glitzy secrets are amazing!!

Theres a few photos, if u can find them, on the You and Your Wedding Forums.

I love that shop!

The things are beautiful and they come beautifully packaged. Occassionally u can find things on ebay but they tend to hold their value as they're so popular. I've even seen things sell for more than they were bought for cos they were sold out in the shop.

I WAS going to wear a headband from there until i 'accidentally' bought one from this lady....

https://www.hermionejewellery.co.uk

Hold your breath when u look at the prices on her site... i got a good deal at a wedding show and im going to sell on after the wedding. See how im trying to convince myself that its worth the money haha

Flo and Percy are also good but pricey. But very resellable.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Picks jaw up from the ground.

Next time someone tells me that my stuff is too expensive, I am going to point them in the direction of that site, I just cannot figure out, how, taking into account the cost of the pearls, crystals and other bits and pieces and the time taken, that she can justify prices that high, even for handmade one of a kind pieces.
  • Mme.Hibou
    Mme.Hibou Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    Options
    I second Flo and Percy - lovely, also try here http://www.ayedo.co.uk/shop/index.php
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • Kittendreich
    Options
    Snap! I have the same picture to give to my hairdresser (trial tomorrow!!) and got a slide from Glitzy Secrets (very happy with service and product).

I also liked stuff from www.vintagebridaljewellery.co.uk but the one I liked was out of stock I didn't have time to wait for it to come in again.

There is a forum thread on this on You and Your Wedding where I found quite a few websites, but lots were VERY expensive and I just couldn't justify it...I'm too sentimental and know I'm unlikely to sell anything on after the wedding!
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jo_F wrote: »
    I just cannot figure out, how, taking into account the cost of the pearls, crystals and other bits and pieces and the time taken, that she can justify prices that high, even for handmade one of a kind pieces.

Even though they're real freshwater pearls and swarovski? Oh well, ive bought it now. Still love it, even if it is mega expensive! Just hope i can sell on after the wedding!!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    picklepick wrote: »
    Even though they're real freshwater pearls and swarovski? Oh well, ive bought it now. Still love it, even if it is mega expensive! Just hope i can sell on after the wedding!!

Yes, I have freshwater pearls, and I do a lot of work with Swarovski beads, and those prices I just could not justify with the prices I pay for my beads
  • lindaatno9
    lindaatno9 Posts: 2,092 Forumite
    Options
    You know, you could easily make something like this. The thing the model has in her hair looks like a motif, something you put onto a dress.

http://www.michaelsbridalfabrics.co.uk/images.php?id=6&page=6 T186

http://www.michaelsbridalfabrics.co.uk/images.php?id=6&page=5 T157

They can be around £5-6 per pair. Get yourself a clear comb (about 25p) and stick it on.

Cheap as chips!!

ps. At the end of the day you want something for effect. These models have all and sundry stuck on them to attain the right shot!!
  • mshelsbels
    mshelsbels Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    Saw this on Ebay - its from Glitzy Secrets, i love it! Anyone had a tiara from them rather than a slide? (I'd poo poo'd a tiara / headband as I've got a massive head....I bought a riding hat not long ago and the lady went looking for a 'Shrek size'!!!!!)
    I cant wear regular headbands - even just the plastic ones just ping off, and the metal ones dig in so much they make me have a headache!

Arghhhh!!

Hels xx
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family