We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Favour help, please...

Options
Hi

I'm making traditional style favours as I have access to cheapish bits and bobs via a relative of DP's family who have a haberdashery shop. I don't know them very well but they have kindly said they will give me a discount, so I wanted to make up traditional style favours (little dish, netting, and tied with a ribbon and a flower sprig in the top).

I love the "idea" of the 5 sugared almonds and the 5 things they represent shebang, but on the other hand I also know not many people actually LIKE eating them!! I'd like the favours to look traditional, but inside I might put 5 small chocolates, or something else, just not sure what.

If I'm putting chocs in they will have to be wrapped I suppose to prevent the fabric getting messed up (summer wedding! Melting could occur!!) but I don't know where to start. One nice wrapped choccy? A couple of nice wrapped choccy's? 5 small wrapped choccy's? You get the idea....

Just fishing for ideas really. Where to get said chocs, any brands that spring to mind, how many to put in, or any other MSE ideas that might swing my choice!

Thank you.....

Comments

• bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what about these
    I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • faerie_girl
    faerie_girl Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    This is something I have been thinking of today.
    We are having a small intimate wedding with close family. I was thinking of making something myself, was thinking gingerbread hearts, biscuits etc. Then I thought about doing petite four buns. Giving 5 to each guest so sort of going with the tradition. I was thinking of each one a different favor, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry etc and each decorated differently. I have seen some really cute sugar craft roses which I thought I could decorate them with.

We aren't traditional but I think my grandparents would appreciate having 5 of something.

As we are also having a summer wedding I don't really want to give chocolates as they would melt on the way to the venue of our meal. I like the idea of making something myself.
  • stef240377
    stef240377 Posts: 2,798 Forumite
    Options
    I had red, white and black dragees in colour co-ordinating favour bags from hobbycraft at my wedding. I used this company - http://www.chocolatebuttons.co.uk/weddings-events.html

They were recommended on here when i first joined the wedding thread last year.
    :j Was married 2nd october 2009 to the most wonderful man possible:j

DD 1994, DS 1996 AND DS 1997

Lost 3st 5lb with Slimming world so far!!
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Ah you are making Italian bomboniere - you need a tiny plastic base discs to put in the bottom to make them stand up. I know a trade place that sells them - how many do you need and I can get some they work out at 0.03p for curved saucer shaped ones or flat ones are 0.02p each this is based on 100+ plus VAT. They are easy to make using a favour maker machine - pity they cost so much money though (the machines are very expensive).

Instead of sugared almonds that people probably won't eat, you can get chocolate dragees that look like sugared almonds but contain chocolate instead and they won't melt in the heat either.
  • missy_moo_5
    missy_moo_5 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    ohhh Horace, thank you I shall PM you shortly.

Yes, I will need the dishes. The machine to make them? That'll be me, DP and lots of patience! I helped a friend make hers up by hand - yes, it was fiddly but we did manage it somehow. She did it by gathering the layers of tulle with a elastic band, then tying ribbon lower down and taking the elastic band off. Fiddly, but do-able. Plus all my tulle, ribon and so on will be next to nothing via my family contact (hurrah!!)

And yes, I shall go for the dragees. Yum!

Thank you all!
  • Alyssa_C_2
    Alyssa_C_2 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance ladies, but why is it traditional for it to be 5?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure