Catering for a 60th Birthday Party

Options
Any advice on how to cater for a 60th birthday party would be appreciated as I have never done anything like this before!

We have around 75 people coming to the party which comprises of 15 children (between six months and 9 years old) and 60 adults.

If I cater myself to save on costs I need to know how much food to allow per person and also other things I will need to take into consideration e.g. disposable plates, cutlery, platters for the food etc.

I don't know if I will save a lot of money by doing it this way as I have managed to find a caterer who will provide all the cutlery, plates serviettes and also dress the buffet table for £5.95 a head including dessert. If I went for this option, how many people would I order the buffet for?

I can get people to help me cater but will it be a lot of effort for not much in the way of saving on catering costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Quiet_Life
    Quiet_Life Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check out this web site, although it's for weddings it has loads of info and tips for buffets
    In giving
    you are throwing a bridge
    across the chasm of your solitude.
    The Wisdom of the Sands. Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • goldengirl39
    Options
    Hi Quiet Life

The website information wasn't attached to your post. Could you re-post it for me?

Thanks
  • kayl
    kayl Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    If you can visit a Costco, they have a great range of both sweet and savoury items which are great for a buffet
  • City_Girl_2
    City_Girl_2 Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I did a Surprise party for my parents 60th last year and I paid for a hot pot supper from a local bakery which worked out pretty cheap, around £1.50/1.75 per head, and delivered. I bought my own napkins, plates and beetroot etc... as this worked out much cheaper.

If you order something similar for a certain number of people then when it's gone it's gone, who is gong to ask you for anymore;) an added bonus it's so easy to clean up afterwards.

I wouldn't want to be doing food for a party where I was wanting to enjoy myself with family & friends and found this the cheapest way to do it and it went down really well.

Good luck

CITY x
  • Limara
    Limara Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done several large parties, I find finger foods go down the best even though they have had coleslaws, potato, fresh salad and rice salads people seem to take the meats and very few even take a spoonful of the salad! and the meats and salads are the most expensive to do such a waste of money I wouldnt ever do them again.
    Sausage rolls, sausages on sticks, cheese and pineapple on sticks,Prawn vol au vents, Quiches, and selection of different cold pizzas always go down really well,( make sure you have a couple of vegetable only pizzas as you will always get one vegetarian! lots of chicken nuggets then a selection of sandwiches cheese and onion with mayo spead ( make your own its heaps cheaper) and the tuna are normally the most popular.Then bowls of crips I always avoid nuts as one of the little ones that comes to our dos has a severe nut allergy.
    A selection of cakes and cheesecakes, I find the nicest and cheapest cakes are the Adsa ones. cheesecakes are 4 for £3 at the min at asda
    I normally buy the offer quiches from morrisons if you have long enough before the party they change the offer every couple of weeks and they are only a pound so I will get a few of each one on offer and freeze them. you should be able to put on a huge spread for around 100 to 120 quid so at the 5.95 you have been quoted a head around 1/4 the price. and you will have double the quantity of food the professionals supply!
    You always think you dont have any where near enough food and always have loads left over at the end!
    Plates etc poundland they have lovely quality silver and gold plates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport