Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Halifax - House prices rebound after fall

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interest rates are at .5%, no stamp duty for FTBs up to 250k and bulls here are happy at a 1.1%MOM rise? Jesus, if this was 2003 at those rates id expect at least 5% MoM rise. HPI is being completely artifically maintained by the government to make people feel good that the house they live in has "made them money". No wonder so many retards are voting labour.

Hah, I find these types of posts amusing.

Would anyone else expect 60% annualised HPI? I can only assume this person will be voting labour as well judging by the criteria set.
  • firsttimetom
    Options
    chucky wrote: »
    they were a large bunch before but the smarter ones have long gone

one day, maybe one day this will happen

Incorrect - The smarter ones are out of the housing market which is making pitiful returns, and holding their cash outside of sterling.

You may THINK your house is a good investment at 5% per year. THINK AGAIN.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JonnyBravo wrote: »
    £500 is over optimistic? Are they making no sacrifice?
    What about the extra costs of owning a house? We're always hearing how great it is to be renting and not having any "expensive maintenance" to contend with. What they going to do when they own and they get extra bills?

Anyhow, I've just run it on £157k, going up by 1% a month and saving only £300/month. They've still saved 2% towards their deposit in one year.

C'mon Graham we get the message that rising house prices don't help FTBers it's just you over egged your pudding on your example somewhat. Your maths has let you down before, it's done it again.
    Oh yeah and do FTBers really buy at the average price of all transactions?

Some people will obviously be able to save £500 a month.

But if you are renting a place for £800 a month, and trying to save to buy (which I would assume is the majority of those saving to buy), then saving £500 a month at the same time will be on the difficult side.

Just my opinion. Most people have living costs to contend with while saving. Only a minority in my opinion will be living with their parents pretty much rent free.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is, these figures are being fiddled with more than a fiddler fiddling tunes from Fiddler on the Roof at the opening ceremony of the annual World's Greatest Fiddlers Conference.

:p
  • doire_2
    doire_2 Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder how many transactions were completed in the past few months.
  • Really2
    Really2 Posts: 12,397 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    doire wrote: »
    I wonder how many transactions were completed in the past few months.

It is back over 70,000 according to the nationwide.
  • Cleaver
    Cleaver Posts: 6,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is, these figures are being fiddled with more than a fiddler fiddling tunes from Fiddler on the Roof at the opening ceremony of the annual World's Greatest Fiddlers Conference.

:p

I don't think that's true. But even if it is, as long as they are fiddled with in the same way each month over the past few years as they've gone down and up, then you get an accurate picture of the trend for house prices.

It's like your weighing scales being wrong. They may not tell you your correct weight, but if you weigh yourself every day for a year then they should still tell you whether you're getting heavier or lighter.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    Cleaver wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. But even if it is, as long as they are fiddled with in the same way each month over the past few years as they've gone down and up, then you get an accurate picture of the trend for house prices.

It's like your weighing scales being wrong. They may not tell you your correct weight, but if you weigh yourself every day for a year then they should still tell you whether you're getting heavier or lighter.

Yeah I was joking really. I've ceased to care much as I'm moving out of London back to the provinces where prices are much more affordable. For me anyway, as I'm taking a London salary with me.

All markets are local markets.
  • chucky
    chucky Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Incorrect - The smarter ones are out of the housing market which is making pitiful returns, and holding their cash outside of sterling.

You may THINK your house is a good investment at 5% per year. THINK AGAIN.
    what a coincidence that so many of these 'bearish' types on this site hold these 80% cash deposits for their houses in gold or a foreign currency. :eek:

i think you're telling lies :T

houses are expensive - get over it.
  • JonnyBravo
    JonnyBravo Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Some people will obviously be able to save £500 a month.

But if you are renting a place for £800 a month, and trying to save to buy (which I would assume is the majority of those saving to buy), then saving £500 a month at the same time will be on the difficult side.

Just my opinion. Most people have living costs to contend with while saving. Only a minority in my opinion will be living with their parents pretty much rent free.

Of course it's harder if you're paying rent.

"40% of first-time buyers will live with parents before they buy a property in order to save money"

from http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/first-time-buyers-expect-parental-assistance/127725.article

So a minority yes but a sizeable one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport