What Do You Think I should Do?

Options
Hi All,
I was wondering if any of you could advise me in what to do.
I have 2 credit cards, one a Sainsburys,the other Abbey,
Both have finished being interest free,but I owe about£3800 on the abbey and
£2500 on the Sainsburys.
I pay £80 a month of each one(cant afford no more)
The thing is im being hit for about £40 month on the abbey,and £30 on the Sainsburys.
Thats £70 being wasted(Gutted)
Ive tried applying for other cards,interest free,or low interest but to no avail.
My credit is not very good,but have been okay in paying on time lately.My credit score is 341,which puts me in the fair bracket.
I already have loans/car loans so cant borrow/dont want to borrow anymore money.
How long do you think ill have to wait before them agreeing to give me a card.
It just bugs me that £70 is paying interest when it could be paying off the bill.
Does anyone have any idea in what I could do? or shall I just sit patiently waiting for my credit to improve.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Vinnie.

Comments

• Willsnarf1983
    Willsnarf1983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    wait 3-6 months (the longer the better) and make sure u pay on time and without fail

Will
    SShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Vinnie

You don't mention whether £80 is the minimum requested by each card every month, but if not, you should see which card charges the lowest interest rate and make just the minimum payment necessary on that one. Then throw whatever is left of the £160/month which you have available to use for the cards at the one with the highest interest rate, to bring that one down quicker and reduce the amount of interest you pay. Then, once that one is paid off, pay all the £160 a month off the next card.

Paying debts off this way is referred to as "snowballing" - try putting that into the search facility on here and I'm sure it will pull up lots of posts which explain it better than I have done...

Good luck!

Piglet
  • jonimitchell
    Options
    I think piglet was spot on. Also, may be worth checking whether one of the two cards has any balance transfer deals and if you have sufficient credit left, use that to your benefit, both ways.
    Lesson learnt!
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    post an SoA

see
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=107280
    and get some advice about your overall financial situation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories