Backpay and bankruptcy

Totally_fedup_2
Totally_fedup_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 31 March 2010 at 11:27PM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi everyone.

Tomorrow is my big day when I have an appointment with the Courts for my bankruptcy. I've been planning this for months, umming and ahhing for weeks and weeks and eventually taking the plunge as the light at the end of the tunnel was getting dimmer and dimmer.

I'm glad I've finally made the decision as I feel now that I am doing the right thing, however, today I was told something at work that I should be pleased about.

In recognition of the good work that I have done at work, and the level that I have been working it, they have decided to give me a payrise. Yeah! I hear you say. I was well chuffed, then they said, and we'll backdate to when you first started, ie two years ago.

What I want to know is will the OR take this money off me? My argument is that it is money that I should have been paid previously, and if I had it would have been spent on living expenses and I would definitely have not saved it up.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Thanks

Comments

• debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    The OR would argue though that if you had received this money previously you would have paid it to creditors and that is where it should go now
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • Thanks for your reply. But isn't that being presumptious that I would have used that extra money to pay creditors? Why couldn't I have used that extra money to buy food, for example?

I know at the end of the day, they don't give a damn what I say I could have used it for, and they are working for the creditors, it's just annoying that I'm in a no win situation.:(
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    how much are you talking about? think they will see it as your situation now and not get into what ifs. try and think of all the debts you will be getting rid off,i bet thats loads more than the lump sum.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    btw you must have a great job/boss to back pay a rise 2 years!!!
  • So_Sad_Angel
    So_Sad_Angel Posts: 7,363 Forumite
    Hi everyone.

Tomorrow is my big day when I have an appointment with the Courts for my bankruptcy. I've been planning this for months, umming and ahhing for weeks and weeks and eventually taking the plunge as the light at the end of the tunnel was getting dimmer and dimmer.

Thanks

Hi Totally

I think that your payrise is a bridge that you will have to deal with as & when it happens. You don`t know amounts anyway & it was`nt money you were expecting so I would wait & see .

Good luck tomorrow.....sounds like a weight will be lifted...sometimes you`ve just got to bite the bullet.

Angiexx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport