We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Church Rules

Options
Hi All,

me and the OH have found a venue we think we might go for - ticks all the right boxes. small snag is that we want to get married in a Church. The venue is near Newbury, we live in oxford and my dad lives over wokingham way. the church near him is 45 mins drive (on a good day) and same for our local one.

The church I was christened in etc is nearby but closed in 2006.

Can you pick any church or do you have to have a link to it?

Can anyone help? x
:heart2: Got Married on 30/4/11 :heart2:
Joined SW 12/7/12...
-4.5, -3 (1/2 Stone award), STS, -1.5, STS, -2 (SOTW)

Comments

• bubbles0169
    bubbles0169 Posts: 6,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think you can pick any and thats what the banns are for
    youll have to go a couple of times before the day
    just enquire at your preffered church as they have differing rules
    I am not bossy I just have better ideas:p
  • Primmer
    Primmer Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The rules changed recently and you can get married at a church provided you have a connection to it such as dad living in the parish, being christened there etc, if you look at church of england/roman catholic websites they give additional details on all the circumstances that apply.
    If you have a church in mind then contact the vicar and ask if he would be willing to marrry you.
  • Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - we're in the same position, so long as you have at least 6 months to go before the wedding you should be alright. The CofE rules are here, plus you can search for churches:

http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/youre-welcome/more-churches-to-choose-from.aspx

My brother married last year down in Devon in a church and we have no family links down there. They just had to attend once a month for 6 months. We're about the approach the vicar at the church near our reception venue. We don't have any links to it and its about 45 minutes from us. I think CofE is very open to helping people marry in church.
  • Mrs_Moore_To_Be
    Options
    Thanks All, ill contact the church in mind and ask them. Do you call them or is it rude to 'pop' in?
    Joined SW 12/7/12...
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I would call and make an appointment - that way, you get their undivided attention, and they can be fully prepared for your query.
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • Mrs_Moore_To_Be
    Options
    Hi All,

Spoken with the vicar and im going along on Sunday to start attending and meet him. He seems really nice - he said usually they dont book the wedding until you have started establishing your link with the church. Whats peoples experiences with this? can I ask him to pencil us in until he is happy so we dont lose the date?

He also said that I can receive communion, its been a while since I attended church and when I did I just sat and listened etc, whats this? is this the where you drink from the challis?

Im really nervous! x
    Joined SW 12/7/12...
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes- taking communion is basically having the bread and wine.
    No need to be nervous. It might be an idea to not take communion on first attendance- that way you can see how it is all done at the church and decide later on to take communion when you feel comfortable with it. Or you could just play it by ear on the day.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • rene2b
    rene2b Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    hahahaha i know where your coming from(there should b a book on the do's and doesnt of the church)we went to church last sunday to have our banns read(long story but they forgot)so have to go another 3 sundays
    anyway the church we are getting married isnt our parish so unsure if our banns have been read in our parish??
    but we sat there in a full church(it was easter)and we didnt have a clue
    hahahahahahaha
    the other half was singing to the wrong hem the nice lady next to him put him right pmsl
    then when it came to communion we both just looked at each other we didnt know what to do
    i asked the lady next to me if we should go down and she asked if we had been 'confirmed'when i said no she said nicely no!so we just sat there
    the next thing every1 was 'air kissing'saying pace b with you'

dont get me wrong the service was nice but with was in the unknown

we will c what happens this sunday ha
  • sal-ad_daze
    sal-ad_daze Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    You have to be confirmed to take Communion in the Church of England, that is you go through a special service as an 'adult' (I was 14!) to confirm the vows made on your behalf by your Godparents. You can go down to the altar but don't put your hands out, the vicar will just give you a blessing.
    Go along and just watch, each church has it's own traditions and the congregation will be pleased to see you they won't make you feel uncomfortable and enjoy!
  • rene2b
    rene2b Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    is not going to matter tho is it????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts