Anyone live in Bangor West?

edited 28 March 2010 at 1:34PM in N. Ireland
10 replies 3.4K views
PythagorousPythagorous Forumite
710 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 28 March 2010 at 1:34PM in N. Ireland
Just curious as I'm considering moving there with wifey and 2 kids. £300K budget.

Anyone on here care to point out the good the bad and the ugly? Areas to avoid/consider etc.

Replies

• caz2703caz2703 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    I'm on the other side so don't know the West just as well but for me the plus points would be:

- closer to Belfast thus avoiding the horrible traffic on the outer ring especially at the N'Ards roundabout
    - close to the big Tesco at Springhill
    - choice of train stations (Bangor Central, Bangor West & Carnalea)

I *think* houses are a bit dearer in the west of Bangor due to proximity to Belfast. Any reason you wouldn't consider the far side e.g. Ballyholme or closer to Donaghadee/Groomsport? We're in a nice family friendly area and houses near us have been selling at around £140K for a 3 bed 2 reception semi-detached. Near some good primary schools plus Bloomfields for shopping!!
  • PythagorousPythagorous Forumite
    710 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks Caz.

Would consider the other side of town although I always thought the Ballyholme side was more expensive plus the commuting pain to Belfast where I work is magnified.
  • dazb75dazb75 Forumite
    92 Posts
    I'm from Bangor. I used to live in that area.

There aren't really any areas to avoid. Just don't buy anywhere within 5 minutes walking distance from the train stations. You'll find cars abandoned outside your house during the day!

If your kids are of primary school age there are good schools in the area. Rathmore, Crawfordsburn, etc. There's a good GP surgery next to the large Tesco at Springhill.

For your budget, I'd consider Wandsworth, Carnalea. Anywhere close to the Crawfordsburn Road. If you want an older house, you could look around the Bryansburn and Brunswick Roads.

Good luck.
    3.6K Posts
    I'd agree with dazb as regards those areas. The GP surgery is part of the Priory group so you can get appointments in the Springhill or Priory (Holywood) surgeries. Carnalea is nice but from looking myself I think you're paying for the area and closeness to Belfast which is why I mentioned this side of Bangor. As an example around the Silverbirch area you can get a 4 bed 2/3 reception detached for £250K close to Kilmaine PS which is one of the best in Bangor. From here you are only a couple of minutes to the outer ring at Bloomfields, a 5-10 minute drive to Springhill (depending on time of day) and only a few minutes from Ballyholme village including the beach.
  • MilkoMilko Forumite
    658 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I live just of the old belfast road and have done for nearly 35 years.
    It's certainly the better side of Bangor (flame suit on lol) and you can't really go wrong on area although those stated are quite expensive even with a £300k budget. There's currently a new site being developed on the Crawfordsburn Road around your budget (MMM being the developer). Theres a 3 bed detached in my street on the market for £200 (dropped from a rediculous £350ish). Walmar Grove is also a very nice area & "dead" quiet ranging from £270 townhouses to £315 semis to £350 detached. Any other questions just ask.
    As for the 5-10 minute drive to Springhill from Silverbirch ... not between 7:30-9:30am you won't, try 20-25mins
    3.6K Posts
    I used to do Silverbirch to Ballygowan Road (near Castlereagh) via Craigantlet and even during the winter it could be done in 45 minutes without breaking any speed limits (not possible with traffic even if you wanted to!).During the summer holidays I could do the drive at 8:30 and be at work for just gone 9am.

It all depends what you're after. I love the Maxwell Road / Ranfurly area but you're paying for the area and relative ease of commute compared to this side of Bangor. At the end of the day it's each to their own but in this current climate we opted for Silverbirch in a 3 bed semi which are going for £140K. Detached 4 beds are £250K (or less) so to pay an extra £100K for Bangor West seems madness to me unless money is no object i.e. job security, good down payment in which case I'd say choose Bangor West!!!.
  • Jon_CJon_C Forumite
    465 Posts
    dazb75 wrote: »
    Just don't buy anywhere within 5 minutes walking distance from the train stations. You'll find cars abandoned outside your house during the day!

Ah, fond memories of my favourite news stories covered by the Spectator (or indeed any publication) in recent years...

'They smeared dog poo on my
    windscreen says motorist'

and the following week...

'They smeared dog poo on my
    windscreen too says motorist'

:rotfl:

In both stories commuters parking near Bangor West train station complained that... well I think by now you'll have guessed what they complained. A harsh response from residents fed up with people parking outside their houses on 'their' (public) streets!

By week three I think it had been relegated to a letter to the editor headlined 'Dog poo woe' or similar.
  • Just saw this thread, so is Ballyholme a good area? The only thing I know about Ballyholme is that the beach never passes the water quality test....but i too am hoping to move to bangor donaghadee direction and am not sure about areas. can ballyholme have dodgy areas?
    MFW 148 - Mortgage £121,000 1Jan11 / Mortgage £120,300 28Jan11 / £119,808 24Feb11 / £119,400 22 April11 / £119,089 29 May11 / £118,500 October11
    3.6K Posts
    Ballyholme is lovely and has some nice shops including a fantastic butchers. Obviously you're close to the beach which means increased traffic during the nice weather but as for areas to avoid, I wouldn't say there are any except for those closer to the town centre where you may get loud foot traffic late at night from revellers walking home. I had a friend who lived on Ballymaconnell which was lovely save for the school at the dual carriageway end which meant lots of cars and buses in the morning. If you hop across the dual carriageway towards Ballycrochan and Silverbirch it tends to be fairly quiet, good primary school in Kilmaine (if you need one) and close enough to Bloomfields.
  • spike7451spike7451 Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this thread, so is Ballyholme a good area? The only thing I know about Ballyholme is that the beach never passes the water quality test....but i too am hoping to move to bangor donaghadee direction and am not sure about areas. can ballyholme have dodgy areas?

If you're looking at Donaghadee,the estate I live in,Victoria,is very quiet & nice.The's a couple of NIHE & privatly owned 1 & 2 bedroom apartment's in the estate empty at the moment as well as a nice 3 bed semi detatched house.We're off the main road to Millisle going out of Donaghadee & within spitting distance of the schools & a 5 minute walk into the town.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals