Improving my life during Summer 2010

Comments

• Mags30
    Mags30 Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2010 at 1:35PM
    Day 3 of the Yantra mat trial and I've slept much better for the last 2 nights. This could just be the best thing ever. I'll need to use it for a bit longer before I start recommending it though.

@polesalot Wondering if you have any opinion on the Reebok easytone runners? I know from your diary that you run a lot and they are advertised everywhere just now.

Social/Relationships: The ex bought me dinner at a fabulous Chinese on Monday night. I had a lovely time and we got on really well but he's just not capable of being faithful to anyone. He's the big love of my life and the only person I actually enjoy going out with.

I had the best day today at a barbeque hosted by my mothers neighbour. The food was amazing, all purchased from a local butcher but here's what really made my day, some people thought I was about 21 or 22 when I'm actually 32:D Almost makes me feel ok about the money spent on cosmetics and hair!

Then I got told that some of the guys from the local gun club had been asking who I was and if I was married!! Now men who keep guns probably aren't all that compatible with a woman with an Estee Lauder addiction but I was just so flattered that people actually liked me and thought I looked well, particularly when I'm rather prone to anxiety/depression and on medication for same. I never feel like I would be particularly attractive to anybody.

Reading: I've finished the Jodi Picoult book "House Rules". Loved it, best I've read in ages. It's about a guy with Aspergers syndrome (a form of autism) who gets put on trial for murder. Both sides of the case are told so well, highly recommended:)
    Total debt 11/1/2011 €5350.65
    Total debt 12/12/12 €3222.31
    CrazyClothesChallenge 2013 #006 €34.08/€500
  • vasseur
    vasseur Posts: 3,090
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mags30 wrote: »

@polesalot Wondering if you have any opinion on the Reebok easytone runners? I know from your diary that you run a lot and they are advertised everywhere just now. My trainers are 12 years old and are really on their last legs! I do need to get some more because these probably aren't doing me any good but need to save up first :(

I had the best today at a barbeque hosted by my mothers neighbour. The food was amazing, all purchased from a local butcher but here's what really made my day, some people thought I was about 21 or 22 when I'm actually 32:D Almost makes me feel ok about the money spent on cosmetics and hair! I love it when this happens. I am often told I don't look 38 (but I think 22 would be puching it a bit LOL)

Then I got told that some of the guys from the local gun club had been asking who I was and if I was married!! Now men who keep guns probably aren't all that compatible with a woman with an Estee Lauder addiction but I was just so flattered that people actually liked me and thought I looked well, particularly when I'm rather prone to anxiety/depression and on medication for same. I never feel like I would be particularly attractive to anybody. I love it when this happens - can really put a spring in your step for the whole day. Make the most of it. Once you close a door on the ex you'll find that more opportunities will present themselves to you - but not until you've firmly drawn a line under him and realised that he is all in the past.

Reading: I've finished the Jodi Picoult book "House Rules". Loved it, best I've read in ages. It's about a guy with Aspergers syndrome (a form of autism) who gets put on trial for murder. Both sides of the case are told so well, highly recommended I've only read one Jodi Picoult book, I can't remember what it was called, something about a murder and ghosts but I do remember really enjoying it at the time

Sounds like you've had a lovely weekend :)
    It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back.... :j
    Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey :)
  • Mags30
    Decluttering: 20 magazines in the recycling today:T
    Review writing: 25 reviews written this week for a €20 voucher.:T

Hoping to repeat both of those next week which would leave me with slightly more space and €40 towards the Reebok easytone trainers...

Which I'll be needing because I'm hoping to introduce the envelope system to my finances. I'm going to start fairly simply with €100 being taken from the ATM. All bills are by direct debit so this is cash for spending only.
    • €30 petrol (€20 should be enough but the extra could go towards car tax, insurance, MOT, parking discs)
    • €35 Food
    • €35 Unnecessary/Spends
    Any comments on these figures are more than welcome. I'm not sure how realistic they are. I'm thinking it's more like a student budget which is depressing when you're 32 especially when an unemployed person in Ireland gets €196 a week:undecided

I can't start it just now anyway because my car insurance needs renewing and I'm busy juggling money from one account to another to cover it :( so there's no spare money for distributing to envelopes.

But who needs money anyway, I got a fabulous freebie today:D I was mystery shopping at a shopping centre and a radio station were broadcasting there. I was having coffee (not the mystery shopping job but I can't seem to go anywhere without a cafe visit) when the radio people announced that the first person to go to a cretain chemist would get a gift. I couldn't really leave the food I'd just paid for but I dropped in around 20 minutes later. I knew the gift would be gone but I hoped they might me give me a few samples instead.

The gift was gone but I was only the 2nd person to call in about it (clearly very few people share my cosmetics addiction). Instead of samples the lady gave me the Lancome GWP (gift with purchase) which is an Alice Temperly bag, a 125ml cleanser and a 125ml toner:T. Now where's my gratitude journal!.:)

Driving: The parking discs I bought yesterday got slightly wet in my bag with the rain and now they look like they've been used so I can't use them. Total waste of money. Mental note, parking discs need to be handled with extreme care.
  • vasseur
    Forumite
    I think the envelope system is going to be trial and error for the first few months. It will take a while to get into the habit of it and also whether the amounts allocated are correct. I'm quite excited by it though. My grocery spends were always the thing that made me unsure how much money i had left for me. Now I've taken a whole months worth out and put it into its own account things are a lot clearer.

Well done you for bagging that freebie. Patience certainly is a virtue and at least you didn't have to rush your coffee either ;)
  • Mags30
    Green lights out people! Here's why we need to turn the computers off:) Computer and mobile phone screens emit blue light which is similar to daylight and tricks the brain into thinking it's time to wake up when it's actually time to go to sleep. (Magazines do teach you stuff!)

I do my mystery shopping reports at night or review writing if I haven't been mystery shopping. That's boring so I keep MSE open in another window so that I can flick over for a chat, then I get distracted by MSE and spend ages on here and I tend to text in bed as the people I'm texting work nights.

Could explain why I have trouble sleeping. I have been sleeping better since using the yantra mat. I'm not waking up during the night but I still have trouble falling asleep, maybe it is the blue light from the laptop screen.

I guesse I can test that theory tonight because I still have loads to do before bed, I must wash my hair, bring in the washing, organize some photos....can't leave it until morning because I'm meeting someone for coffee in the city centre at 10 and I need to get to the local shopping centre before that to buy a cake to bring to another bbq on Sunday. Need to paint my nails and toenails too. I'll give myself an hour to do as much as I can and I'll do the rest in the morning.
  • Mags30
    Home early from work today because I did myself a bit of an injury. I was crossing the street when I tripped, not even sure what happened because I didn't fall or feel anything that hurt but when I looked down there was loads of blood, I was literally leaving a trail of blood on the footpath:eek:

I walked to the nearest quiet street, sat on a bench and mopped up the blood with tissues from my handbag, felt sorry for myself and hoped the bleeding would stop soon so that I could walk back to the office.

The bleeding didn't stop for literally 20-30 minutes, I think it looked worse than it was because there was dried blood all over my foot and on my hands from mopping it up:o Exactly the sort of situation that would be easy to deal with at home but not so much on a public street. 3 people stopped to ask if I was ok and a girl with a baby gave me some baby wipes which were an absolute lifesaver for cleaning up

I made it back to the office but got sent home (blood scares people). Not even sure how it is now, I soaked it in a dish of water with some savalon and then put sudocream and a bandage on it. I'd say it might be really sore tomorrow, I don't think it requires stitches but I'm avoiding looking at it for now.

Having tea :coffee: (because tea fixes everything!)and chocolate kimberly and still feeling sorry for myself.
  • vasseur
    Forumite
    Oh Mags you poor thing. What did you cut to bleed so much? Did you land in glass do you think?

Actually your last comment about the cuppa suddenly reminded me that we are out of tea and milk. So I quickly scooped up DD and her friend and made them run up the shop with me. I couldn't possible start tomorrow without a cup of tea! You're right it does fix everything.

Take it easy now :)
  • Mags30
    polesalot wrote: »
    Oh Mags you poor thing. What did you cut to bleed so much? Did you land in glass do you think?

Thanks:) The cut is across the top of my big toe but the blood was flowing over all of my toes. I honestly don't know what caused it, could have been glass but thankfully I didn't find any when I soaked it in the water. Injuries that you don't hurt when they happen are often the worst, hoping it won't be all swollen tomorrow.
  • vasseur
    Forumite
    Bathe it in salt water - willsting a bit but my goodness it works wonders :)
  • Mags30
    polesalot wrote: »
    Bathe it in salt water - will sting a bit but my goodness it works wonders :)

Did that this evening, thank you. It's not much better today unfortunately, it's a really bad cut. Have had the worst period pains/cramps today too. Feeling sorry for myself:(

Feeling a bit :undecided about men again today. I was explaining my foot incident to a male friend (whose wife is having a baby really soon) and he's being all sympathetic and keeps texting to make sure I'm ok. I feel that all his concern is a bit misplaced, it's his wife he needs to be checking on, my injured foot is definitely less traumatic than childbirth.

In MSE news I got an email today saying that Estee Lauder counters were giving out samples of their new eye cream today so I limped (literally) along in my ugg boots to ask. The girl in Debenhams was a little dozy and couldn't find the samples, she looked for ages and then found what she thought was the free sample and put it in a bag for me with a foundation sample. Except it wasn't the free sample! It was a full size tester RRP €49. I'm not sure if I should feel guilty or not but to be honest I don't because I buy things from Estee Lauder a lot (double wear light foundation is a favourite). I can sort of see how she made the mistake, the pot is small, it does look a bit like a GWP sample but surely she didn't expect eye cream to come in the same size bottle as shampoo.

Now if I could just attract money the way I attract free cosmetics......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills