US designer clothing, 30% discount on first order

The clothes are expensive in the first place, but if you have a weakness for that kind of thing, this is cheaper than buying it in the UK.

This is the link to the discount code:

http://legacy.fashion18.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16681

Revolve clothing is easy to find through a google search.

Comments

• stevebananer
    stevebananer Posts: 131 Forumite
    Bear in mind UK customs duty is 12% on clothing, plus VAT at 17.5% unless qualifying as children's clothing.
    AND some USA clothing is being hit by additional duty due to international trade arguments.
  • Poser
    Poser Posts: 154 Forumite
    Why don't you buy from a uk site save on the import charges etc, there's plenty site selling clothes
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Bear in mind UK customs duty is 12% on clothing, plus VAT at 17.5% unless qualifying as children's clothing.
    AND some USA clothing is being hit by additional duty due to international trade arguments.
    Just to say I bought mr newleaf a couple of shirts from a Hawaiin online store a couple of years ago (beautiful, they are, and everyone admires them!) but what started out as a bargain for 2 shirts ended up being a very, very expensive shop. I got absolutely hammered for import duty and VAT, putting the price up by nearly £30 plus £25 charge levied by Royal Mail for seeing the package through the customs process, which I was forced to pay, in cash or by debit card, before they would release the parcel. Buyer beware!
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • newleaf wrote:
    plus £25 charge levied by Royal Mail for seeing the package through the customs process

:eek:
    Are you sure it was royal mail?
    I thought if the item arrives by royal mail you only pay a customs clearance fee of £4. Unless things have changed.
    The fee is £13.50 for parcelforce and various extortionate amounts for other couriers.

You only pay duty if the duty is over £7, otherwise you just pay VAT at 17.5%. (Which, admittedly, for most designer clothes, is probably payable)

HM Revenue & Customs page on internet shopping
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Quite sure. I hadn't got any money and the postie wouldn't give me the parcel. I had to go to the bank and then to pick it up at the sorting office.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Why don't you buy from a uk site save on the import charges etc, there's plenty site selling clothes

How can you ask that with a name of Poser? :D

I like the quality of American women's trousers in boutiques over here, can't afford them, so...

Most of that type of US site will make a hrm 'favourable' customs declaration for export orders, though I don't know about this one in particular.
  • £25 charge levied by Royal Mail for seeing the package through the customs process

That is appalling. I used to order American boutique items from US a while ago. The most I ever had to pay was 17.5% import tax (actually 22.5% for sheepskin which is an anomaly) plus a PO handling fee of about £3. Most of the time I paid no import duty - it was very random.
    Unless there has been a drastic revision of PO charges, you should look into the £25 you were charged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure