Collect For Free?

Options
I am sure I heard on one of the Radio 2 programmes about a website based in England were you could advertise any item you wished to give away. For example unwanted lawnmowers, books etc that would be free to the person who collects them.

I am interested for 2 reasons:

1 I have 2 childrens steel frame beds. One is a single bunk with a desk underneath and the other is an ordinary low level childrens bed. Both have all the parts and bolts.

2 I have an allotment and we had a BBQ at the weekend to try and get a bit more organised and we discussed some of the communal equipment we need such as an old petrol mower and strimmer.

Can anyone help me locate the right website?:confused:

Comments

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiya, I think the website you are referring to is called freecycle. It is nationawide, but you register under your local town and then you can advertise things you want to give away, and if you are looking for something specific, you can ask if anyone else has one to give you. Check out this website https://www.freecycle.org and follow the instructions.
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also list it on the website https://www.gumtree.com under the Items for sale>> Freebies. It is also nation wide and you can find your local gumtree by looking on the left handside of the main site
    Hope you find it useful
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If all else fails ring your local council.
    Ours will take up to 3 heavy items in a 6 month timescale eg old 3 piece suite, fridge etc
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    You can actually advertise stuff as free to collect in any classified ads. It's not uncommon in fact since plenty of people have difficulty in getting rid of large items or don't like to throw things away that still have a use. Possibly it's becoming less common because of freecycle. Anyway you can advertise goods without charge on www.loot.com, www.adtrader.co.uk and www.friday-ad.co.uk so if you want to price them "free to a good home, buyer collects" then that's your perogative. Not generally helpful for finding free stuff though I think you can place "wanted" ads too, so that might be a way of finding some of the stuff you need for the allotments.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many local free papers run free classifieds for items offered under £100
    Beth
    xxx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • 4Chickens
    4Chickens Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Everyone

I have found a site that is call free2collect. I put both beds on there and have already had interest in one of them.

I do have a concern though the person has contacted by email and given me her email address asking me to contact her regarding collection.
    I have replied without giving out any personal details. Sooner or later she is going to need my address and/or telephone number. I know you should never give these out on the net. But how do I get around it?:confused:
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I leave things at the gate, never invite the person in, and even pretend not to be in. Leave a message on the item.
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am sure I heard on one of the Radio 2 programmes about a website based in England were you could advertise any item you wished to give away. For example unwanted lawnmowers, books etc that would be free to the person who collects them.

I am interested for 2 reasons:

1 I have 2 childrens steel frame beds. One is a single bunk with a desk underneath and the other is an ordinary low level childrens bed. Both have all the parts and bolts.

2 I have an allotment and we had a BBQ at the weekend to try and get a bit more organised and we discussed some of the communal equipment we need such as an old petrol mower and strimmer.

Can anyone help me locate the right website?:confused:

Have a look at the existing Freecycle thread for some advice and further info.

HTH!
  • Liney_2
    Liney_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    For furniture you can try the furniture re-use network

https://www.frn.org.uk

The FRN is the national body which supports, assists and develops charitable re-use organisations across the UK . We do this to reduce poverty by helping households in need access furniture, white goods and other household items at affordable prices. In addition, we support re-use organisations in providing training and work placement opportunities for people who are socially excluded.

I looked for my nearest charity via this website that wanted furniture donations, it happened to be MENCAP, they are coming to collect my old sofa bed next week. I am delighted, I don't even have to lug it up the stairs, they do that for me! Hopefully someone else will get some use out of it.
    [size=-2]Remember its nice to be nice and its good to share!

Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!

Before printing, think about the environment![/size]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport