🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Some advice please if I may.... plus also card from 'someone'....

Options
Hi,

We are in debt down to a custody battle. Everyone is fine with the situation as we write each month and give them updates. However, we are being hassled by one company we owe money to - my husband lost his job due to being ill and has started another. We sent them a FS but when we told them he was working last they wanted another. We have told them that we can't give this yet as we do not know what he earns, plus they have messed up the wages this month so he won't get a pay cheque until next month anyway so we really do not know. Either way, our outgoings and income is going to be about even so they aren't going to get much more.

Please can you give me the place where I can find out all the things these companys can and cannot thraten us with. They have asked for my husbands employer (he has only been there a few weeks) and we said no. We asked them to not call us at the house as we often have other people in the house as it is not ours and we rent it from my mum and the rest of the family is often here. They have told us that we do not want them to call us, they have told us tough they will. They told us they were going to send people round to take our money and stuff, blah, blah. We want to know where we can find details just so we can quote something when they call again and will put this in a letter as well as they are being quite aggressive. We don't ignore them and write with information, just they call when there are people here and we have asked them to write to us and we will call them. We understand we are in debt, we are getting it sorted as much as we can but they can't have what we do not have at the moment. Can someone point us in the right direction please to give them some quotes we can put in a letter and also what they can and can't do. Thanks

OK, then today I have a card come through telling us that they (who, I am not sure but have my guesses that it is above!!) 'can confirm I will be calling between 5.30 and 7.30 if inconvenient please call *****'. No company name, just address and an initial and surname. Does this mean they are coming to our house or calling us on the phone? I didn't think they were allowed to send cards like this - I thought I had seen it on Payplan. Hubby drives a van with the company name on it but works on the road so if they call the company they won't be able to speak to him anyway. Will they take the number and start calling his employer - I am worried he might lose his job through it. I have not told hubby this card has come (debt is in his name) as I don't know what to do. Should I tell him to park round my mums for tonight in case they come to the house and see the van? How can they assume when the card will arrive to not have any date on it for calling as it could have come any day really. I find this odd and don't know what to do now. Has anyone else had one of these? Thanks for any advice you can give me. Don't want to worry myself for nthing but we don't have anything anyway and they can't take stuff unless we ignore a court order is this right? Do they have to come in and can they do what bailiffs do and make a note of hat you have? I thought this could happen if you had not paid the court but what about if it has not been to court. Help. We are not ignoring it, we have been told they had told us to pay by 17th so are in arrears of.... £1... but they have never given us a date to pay by and we have always sent the payment for 1st. They send one letter and payment slips agreeing to it then 2 weeks later another letter changing their minds. We are going to send a payment for £1.00 and also one postdated for 17th so that we are never in arrears with them and it cashes on time. Sorry for all the questions, I just wanted some advice on it really. Everything else is in hand and most of the companies have been really good understanding regarding our situation. It's just this one company.

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• kittykat100
    kittykat100 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Let me guess.. do you owe MBNA money? I got one of those postcards a couple of weeks ago, I witheld my number and phoned the number on the card... which was MBNA, needless to say I put the phone down on them.. I have yet to see anyone come to my door, so I wouldn't worry it I were you on that score!

Kittyx

Life is sometimes a bit pants but occasionally you can wear your french knickers! :D
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, thanks Kitty,

No it is Barclays Mastercard - I guess they all use the same companies but I was worried that it says calling as it implys someone is coming round. I am off to check that other website, just what I have been looking for thank you.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Emmzi,

I wanted to again thank you for the link to the website you have on your answer. It is really helpful and has everything I need to know and quote. Thanks for your time in answering my email it is most appreciated.

BM x
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    cant really help but wanted to send a big squidgy hug...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely sounds like harrassment. I have had a lot of good advice from the national debt helpline website, also from OFT website. Good luck!
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • kessik
    kessik Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    Blue Monkey, I really feel for you. It is awful when you are chased for money that you don't have - dreading the phone ringing, hiding when the doorbell goes....I had a call from New Look Cards this afternoon because I'm in arrears by EIGHT WHOLE POUNDS!!!! So glad I'm after them for £60 worth of bank charges!!!
    Try not to worry because as you say you cannot give them what you haven't got and that kind of harrassment is just not on. Good luck!!!
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I also had one of those cards come through my door. No-one ever came angel. I think it's the next step up from the scary phone calls & letters. Was going to suggest the harrassment link too. It pays to ask these questions. I'm so new at this but it seems to me that ignorance isn't bliss - it's downright bl**dy dangerous! It's like you're involved in a 'game' and only the other side know the rules. Good luck.
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family