'Is today the beginning of the end of the UK debt illiteracy?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• knithappens
    knithappens Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    I am lucky i teach in school with a very established PSE department and have been teaching budgeting for quite a few years, and am currently writing a scheme of work for enterprise and personal finance, I am just so happy that is has been made a requirement now. Loved the question you were asked too, kids never cease to amaze me :)
  • jollyme
    jollyme Posts: 343 Forumite
    This is such good news!! I would love to involved in the education side of this. Perhaps with adults or teenagers who will not have had the benefit of the new in school teachings. Does anyone know of any such initiatives??
  • joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    You could try volunteering at a charity that works with young people - if you have teaching skills I'm sure someone would snap you up.
  • chirpchirp
    chirpchirp Posts: 1,983
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it would be great if this education was brought right down to the early years, ie nursery and reception age children. This could be as simple as having a savings account at school, which the secretary banks each week into the children's accounts at a local bank. I know it must be an admin nightmare but I remember it's how it was done at my school in the 70's. It's where I developed the savings bug.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,671
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm guessing you were tired when you wrote this - "Morecomb and Wise"? ;)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,273
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    JDPower wrote: »
    I'm guessing you were tired when you wrote this - "Morecomb and Wise"? ;)

VERY! - its changed
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850
    Forumite
    edited 25 March 2010 at 11:24AM
    jollyme wrote: »
    This is such good news!! I would love to involved in the education side of this. Perhaps with adults or teenagers who will not have had the benefit of the new in school teachings. Does anyone know of any such initiatives??

A good start would be the pfeg.org.uk website and there is also an initiative called 'use your expertise' where you can offer to help out.

I have been doing so for 3 years and it is very rewarding and also a big challenge - as Martin experienced!

Martin, good thinking on your feet with that answer about inflation though and an interesting thought about what the world would be like where people weren't ripped off, weren't saddled with debt and planned their finances better. There are countries which seem to get by just fine without the 'anglo saxon' model of debt driven consumption though and I hope the UK is a bit more like them and a bit more balanced after the current crisis is resolved.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Inflation is how the improved productivity of an economy turns into money, provided the two are happening at the same rate. If everyone was rich that would mean that the output of the economy had increased enough so that they could afford to buy the things that we today consider to be exclusively for the rich.

This has already happened in any ways, paying for things like indoor bathrooms and TV as we have collectively grown richer compared to parts of the world that have not yet improved their productivity to match ours.
  • Hi Martin and yes your right Teri-Ann asked how you would make it interesting to the primary schools, and answered all the maths questions and she is only 12, she is the youngest member of the board. She said you were running around all the stage like an headless chicken and it made her laugh. We are regular followers of your emails and follow your advice. And Teri-Ann is very proud of being part of the board and looks forward to getting it rolled out up and down the country. My eldest daughter who is 18, said why couldn't they have done anything like this when we were at school Also did you get a go on the fortunity game the board as help to launch yet, my dad had a go and got addicted.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,273
    Money Saving Expert
    mmwatson wrote: »
    Hi Martin and yes your right Teri-Ann asked how you would make it interesting to the primary schools, and answered all the maths questions and she is only 12, she is the youngest member of the board. She said you were running around all the stage like an headless chicken and it made her laugh. We are regular followers of your emails and follow your advice. And Teri-Ann is very proud of being part of the board and looks forward to getting it rolled out up and down the country. My eldest daughter who is 18, said why couldn't they have done anything like this when we were at school Also did you get a go on the fortunity game the board as help to launch yet, my dad had a go and got addicted.

Yes I remember Teri-Ann- she was the one who could do 8,192 + 8,192 - i was most impressed and I didnt realise she was only twelve. Glad she enjoyed it :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport