PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I don't have a freezer

Hello everyone.

I've recently moved home (in a hurry and on the cheap) and I don't have a freezer. This is a big problem especially in the current heat.

Without shopping for fresh every day, how can I make food last without going off? Even pre-packed lettuce is turning brown well before the use by date without even breaking the seal.

I'm on my own, by the way, and tend to do a weekly shop. All my baking pans, etc, are still at the old place.

Thanks in advance.
spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets

Comments

• JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nigel Slater recommends putting a wet piece of kitchen roll in the bag with the lettuce to stop it going off quickly.

Personally, I'd stop buying prepacked lettuce. They wash it in all sorts of chemicals, fill it with some iffy air, also full of chemicals, charge you double for it and make sure that it goes off twice as quick.

If there is a farmers market near you, you could buy direct from the grower and it will last twice as long as it is so much fresher.

Alternatively buy a whole lettuce from the supermarket, its half the price and you don't have to get boring iceberg. You could get little gems or a soft butter lettuce.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi spendaholic,

It's good to see you back posting on OS. :)

Do you have a fridge? If not, can you find somewhere dark in your new home that you could store fresh food? In the meantime, this older thread might help: Pls Help, I dont have a freezer!!!!!!!!!!

Pink
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks, Pink-winged.

Yes, I do have a small, worktop height fridge with an ice making compartment.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Yep, that lettuce goes off as soon as you open it and release those chemicals. Buy whole ones.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not an immediate help but have a look on your local freecycle site for a freezer - there was a couple this week on the one's close to me - might see you through for a while.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    I agree put a wanted add on free cycle, I got my fridge freezer that way and the guy bought it over to me!

Up untill then (about 6 weeks ago) I had not had a freezer for yrs, it is do able, just nicer to have one.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure