claims on private pension if seperated

Options
Please can somebody advise?

My mother and father have been seperated for 3 years and are both of pensionable age. My father gave up ownership of house and signed his half to my brother, so my mother could have half the value of the property in cash, and he would remain to reside at the house, which is now solely in my brothers name.

He also pays my mother half his private pension each month since she left him. Due to him now no longer being able to continue to remain living at the house he will need to pay full rent on a warden controlled property, as his half of ownership is now my brothers. Can my father just stop this payment to my mother, as he can no longer afford this and no longer wishes to pay her such a sum?

They are not offically seperated or divorced.

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes he can. But then your mother is likely to see a solicitor in order to get a formal financial settlement (which can be done, before divorced proceedings begin).

They both ought to see solicitors to get the finances sorted out. Presumably, your mother needs financial assistance with her normal living costs?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Jane_herts
    Options
    Mother walked away with 100K and father enabled this payment by signing his half of the house to my brother, and allowing him to get a mortgage for the payout amount, and he was going to remain living at the house at his wish. This meant he had to hand 100% of property to my brother.But he pays my mother a payment of £500 per month as well. He has given up the right of ownership to give her what he thought was her half of entilement. which means now he has lost his half off ownership. Confusing i know. Wish he had not done this
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Why did he sign over his interest to your brother and not your brother and you in equal parts?
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jane_herts wrote: »
    Mother walked away with 100K and father enabled this payment by signing his half of the house to my brother, and allowing him to get a mortgage for the payout amount, and he was going to remain living at the house at his wish. This meant he had to hand 100% of property to my brother.But he pays my mother a payment of £500 per month as well. He has given up the right of ownership to give her what he thought was her half of entilement. which means now he has lost his half off ownership. Confusing i know. Wish he had not done this

Are they divorced? Or have they agreed on a formal Financial separation?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure