Wanting to start a pension? No clue where to start

Options
Hi guys

I am 23, and wanting to start a pension ASAP. I read on here, that you take the age you start and half it and thats the percentage you save. So for me as I am 23 its 11.5%. Does that mean that its a flat 11.5% for the rest of my life? Or does it increase as I get older?

Also, how do I start a pension? How do I pay into it? Is it safe?

I basically know nothing about them.
Argggh

Please help
Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read on here, that you take the age you start and half it and thats the percentage you save.

Its a rough guide as a rule of thumb but it doesnt take into account how you will invest, when you want benefits and how you want benefits.
    Does that mean that its a flat 11.5% for the rest of my life? Or does it increase as I get older?

You should increase your contributions annually to ensure a real terms benefit. You should also go up with pay rises above the normal increase (i.e. promotion).
    Also, how do I start a pension?

find a local IFA who can explain it to you and recommend providers and investments to use to suit your objectives.
    How do I pay into it?

direct debit is most common. Some employers offer one as well. If they pay into it then its worth using theirs.
    Is it safe?

In itself there is no risk in a pension. How you invest will decide that. You can choose investments from across the risk spectrum.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JA1000
    JA1000 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    An IFA will relish such a young person setting up a pension, longer term = more commission. You need to work out what you can afford, aside from being able to live, buy a house etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure