A long journey starts with a single step.....

Options
Well yesterday I faced the music, added up my credit card debt:eek: and did a SOA :eek:which I posted on the main DFW board. And the general consensus is that I dont have a clue where my money is going :o. There are some areas that I know I def overspend on - hence the grocery challenge for March but the rest is just frittered away/wasted when I should be throwing it at the credit cards. So with the pity party now over it is time for action
  • DH and I are keeping a note of every penny that we spend for the next few months
  • Joined March grocery challenge
  • Today organised cheaper pet and mortgage protection insurance saving us £40 month (to go to credit cards)
Am hoping that keeping a diary will keep me motivated and in check at the same time............... it seems to be working for many of you on here so am hoping postive debt reducing vibes flow my way.

So quick summary so far - DH and I have not spent a single penny the last couple of days - project for tomorrow is to find cheaper building and contents insurance

In the words of Magnus "I've started so I'll finish"
CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K

Comments

• joolsybools
    joolsybools Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck! :D
  • penelopedee_2
    penelopedee_2 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Good going Scotdebs. Keep 'fessing' up on here and it will soon help keep you in focus.

Just remember to budget a little bit of 'you' money so that you don't feel deprived and then blow loads.

Good luck, Pen. x
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
  • scotdebs
    scotdebs Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys this month in particular is going to be a real challenge not to reach for the credit cards as I have been on Mat leave since July last yr and this will be our tightest month yet ( offically go back to work next month but will be using lots of holiday up so wont actually go back until May) - but am determined to stay strong
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You've made the start:T

A few years ago I had a print saying

"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step"
    I had that on my wall:cool:

Good luck on your journey:A:T:T:j
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • scotdebs
    Options
    well steady progress being made............today got cheaper B&C insurance but with an improved policy - so another £18 per month saved (& £65 cashback) that together with the poiclies that I did yesterday means am now just under £700 a year better off!:) Although annoyed at myself for not sorting it out sooner - I am where I am now............
    So next project is utilities (gas and elec) - need to spend a bit of time doing some research on this as last elec bill was not typical due to heating having broken down during a cold spell with DH's family staying :mad: - so had about 5 oil filled heaters running day and night for almost a week! But aim is by end of March to have sorted it out and switched. Also by end of March DH and I will have a full breakdown of what we have spent in a month for the 1st time EVER!!!!! and i will have been on the grocery challenge for a month so lots of new info to put into my SOA and then I can really get into the snowball calculator...felling strangely excited about doing my second SOA after the dread of the 1st one :D
    Ive read some really inspirational stories on here over the last few days so really hoping that I can join them..............
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • scotdebs
    Options
    A bit quiet on the debt busting front - took gas and elec meters readings yesterday and going to monitor usage for the next 2/3 weeks then shop around for the best deal that I can - been concentrating on keeping to my grocery challange which is not as easy as I thought it would be even with the generous budget i gave myself:(. But today I bought own brand mayo and mustard which would have been unheard of in the past but have realised that these small changes are the ones that will keep me on track long after I have tackled all the big stuff. So aim for the weekend is to get 6 items on to ebay they are brand new in boxes/with tags etc so am hoping they will sell well - all proceeds going to a very unworthy cause - the dasterdly credit cards!:mad: Friday night would have normally been takeaway night - but found a couple of lonely steaks at the bottom of the freezer and am doing HM rostis (as opposed to buying them from M&S!) - i just try to keep reminding mysef that even if I not directly paying to a debt all of these things will make the difference in the end

have a good weekend one and all :D
    CC debt Aug 2018 £50.2K
    CC debt Nov 2018 £48.6K
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I think thats a good point when you said about its not just about chucking actual money at debt it is the change of habits that make the difference. Good luck!x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure