Options
1234568»

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether the title of the goods has passed on to the skip owner or the eventual tip; that would depend upon the contract the person who hired the skip signed up to.

I've not seen or heard of a skip company that would take ownership of the contents of a skip they hired out.

In fact all the ones I've seen go to great lengths to make it clear they do not own the contents and are not responsible for the contents except for there safe transportation to the tip.

Think about it, why would they want to own something they have no control over. It may be a piece of wood, with a nail sticking out, that is hanging over the side just waiting to put someone's eye out one dark night. it may be toxic waste, stolen goods etc.

However, skips are not always filled with rubbish the owner want's to get rid of. Builders can fill skips with old copper pipe, boilers, radiators etc. from building renovations. With the intention of selling it for scrap. Even rubble from one job can be intended to be used as hard core for another job, and so not rubbish.

Even waste food from a supermarket can be intended to be used as compost or fuel to generate electricity. The supermarket may get paid for it, so in effect, anyone taking it would be stealing money from the supermarket.
  • richie799
    Options
    If the skip is in a public spot like the car park then you are probably alright if its not busy.... the only difficulty I can see is the embaressment and paranoia looking to see if anyones watching you! lol
  • Cabbagewhite
    Options
    I was always under the impression that if a skip was on private property then you had to ask permission to remove stuff, but if it was on the public highway you could just help yourself. I just had a quick google to try and confirm this and couldn't, but did find these http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8273266.Man_in_court_for_taking_items_out_of_rubbish_skip/?ref=mr and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13037808
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure