DMP Creditor Agreement Expiraton

Hi

I'm 8 months into my DMP with CCCS and everything is going well apart from a problem with Halifax (Aqua) :(

They accepted my DMP and froze interest from the start, but now without warning have started hassling me constantly, with automated telephone calls every day as late as 11.10pm. Anyway I am dealing with this side of things, thanks to the help I received from everyone on my other post ;)

What I want to know now is, when a creditor accepts your DMP, usually it is for 3/6/12 months ?
When this time period expires, do creditors automatically revert to standard collection tactics etc, or do they contact you, to let you know that your agreement is about to expire.

Aqua did not write to let me know that they had accepted my DMP in the first place, but obviousley they had, as interest was frozen and my minimum repayment was set at my DMP payment.

They did not contact me to let me know that my agreement had expired and the first I knew of it was when I received a statement with added interest and a minimum repayment of nearly 100 times more than my DMP repayment. Is this the norm ?

Should I expect this every 3/6/12 months.
DMP mutual support thread member:327

Comments

• Sorry to be brief but im in a rush :P

You can stop the phone calls, give this a read - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11571485&postcount=4

The DMP is informal creditors can accept, withdraw, change there opinion at any time.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • Hi

Thanks for the link, I have had a letter from Aqua today, stating that they will not set up an agreement with me unless I send them a list of creditors with up to date balances, and proof of income.

This seems strange, as I have been on an agreement with them for the past 6 months, without giving them this information, unless CCCS provided them with this.

CCCS have sent them my proposals on Fri or today, so should I ignore this letter ?

I'm not happy sending them my accounts, as I am Self Employed.
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ignore the letter and forward it to CCCS ,
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Creditors are not legally obliged to freeze interest at all whilst you are on a dmp.

Creditors work in different ways - some will accept immediately and indefinitely, some will freeze for a period of time and will let you know, and others will just add the interest when they feel like it. I've experienced all of all this.

I'd ignore Aqua's letter and forward it to CCCS - Aqua will have all the information from CCCS already. Ask CCCS to send details again and take it from there.

National Debtline website has a good template letter you could use to write to your creditors to ask them to freeze interest.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Hi

Thanks for your replies guys ;)

I sent the stop interest letter at the same time as my CCCS budget, and they replied asking for proof of income etc.

As you say they already have this info from CCCS otherwise they wouldn't of accepted my DMP for 6 months in the first instance.

I think it's right that they should ask for an update of your budget every 6/12 months, because no doubt some people do take the !!!!, but it would be nice if they informed you of this before starting collection procedures and telephoning you all day every day up until 11.10pm.

Anyway CCCS have re sent my DMP proposals and I have sent a complaint to their complaints department as well as a copy of my letter to several different addresses I have for them, so It's a case of wait and see.
  • Good plan Scouselad,
    In my dealings with Lloyds/BoS their collections department reduced interest for a period of 3 months and told me it would automatically start up again in three months if I didn't make contact and reassure them that my circumstances hadn't changed. I asked if they would notify me of this and they said no, on my head, I had to keep them up to date. Now I don't think this is a reasonable way to conduct business but if speaking to them regularly stops or reduces the outrageous interest, I am prepared to do that. So when you get this bit sorted it might be handy to ask them what happens next to spare yourself this type of stress. Of course, the guy I spoke to might just be making it all up but you never know??
    More than Two Years in

Doing it the Niddy way:j:j:j

• Hi

I totally agree, if it means having interest and charges stopped plus 6 months of peace and quiet I am prepared to send an updated budget and ask CCCS to update them one month before my agreement expires.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport