Laid off without any notice can they do it

Options
I started a job last july and was called into the office last week to say i was being laid off no notice nothing can a comany get away with doing that.
I would like to add i was permenent had a contract of employment and in that contract it did state i was on a probation period of 3 months.
3 months went and i was told nothing so i carried on then it got to the end of jan 2010 and i had a meeting to discuss some changes they wanted to do and they had a bit of a nit pick but nothing else was said.

When i had meeting i had 2 managers in with me no notes were taken and no letter sent to me nothing.
Then just over a week ago was out working and got told to come back to office and was told there and then thats it finished.
I got my p45 and 1 weeks notice money this week but still no paper trail is this correct.

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    Options
    They paid your notice out which seems fair enough. Im not sure 7 months of employment is enough to raise any further objections beyond that
  • ableandy
    ableandy Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you can show grounds of discrimination then the company can let you go at any point in the first year.

It seems they no longer needed you and correctly paid you off. If you want to know why then you should write to them and ask, also ask if they will give you a reference.

Good luck in finding a new position.
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
  • Sconter
    Sconter Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    If they had genuine reasons then they have done everything correctly...Out of interest what was the reason they gave for letting you go?

Unless there was a specified notice period for both parties then again what they basically did was pay you your notice without you having to work it...thats actually quite good, a lot of companies even if paying you off will make you work your notice.

Dunno if this will help but hope it does.

Scott.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In the first 12 months of employment, they can get rid of you for whatever reason they like (so long as it's not discrimination). They just have to pay you your notice, which was 1 week in this case.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • icar36
    icar36 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I agree... Under the one year threashold, employers can dismiss you... as long as it is not for a statutory discriminatory reason...
    ***L'union fait la force***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport