I wanna decent treadmill for under £200

Options
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3357695.htm

Is this any good?

Worried about the noise, has to be enough incline as I like to power walk not run.

Don't want to waste my money on something thats going to break or is rubbish like about 8yrs ago I had an £800 bought for me and it packed up in a year.

Don't want to buy expensive product cover.

Is there any review sites that could tell me more about it? Can't find any via google, only the Argos one.

I want to get it to loose some weight, worried though I will give up after awhile so really need to decide if I want one or not.

Was thinking about an exercise bike but I like the treadmill in that it kinda forces you to walk with it moving.

Comments

• smurfet
    smurfet Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    What about an elliptical trainer?
    Hardly any noise you get a really good workout at your own pace without the impact on your joints.
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Have no idea what that is? Will have a look in to it..
  • smurfet
    smurfet Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/treadelliptical.htm
    Gives you an idea if it would be suitable
    I have been using an Elliptical trainer for 3 years now and still love it
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2010 at 9:23AM
    Options
    when it comes to treadmills you get what you pay for

max weight limit, speed, incline, low joint impact decking, motor power, width of the deck all get better as you invest more in them, but a good one should last you 10-20 years

they also take up space even the fold up ones are big

they also need some user maintenance, you have to lube them reasonably frequently, adjust the belt tension and clean under the hood around the motor

for most people on a budget an elliptical trainer is very good and a lot less hassle, a good treadmill thou is superb, i love mine
    £200 will get you a good ell trainer, £200 will get you the lada of the treadmill world, taking into account you can spend £5,000 on a home treadmill (pointless but you can :p)
  • TenThirteen
    TenThirteen Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't comment on the Argos one you've short-listed but 0-5% isn't a massive gradient for power walking on.

I bought a ProForm 360P folding treadmill from Ebay (new) four years ago for about £240 and I run for 40 minutes on it most days. It's got a large running track (v important!) and it is totally solid, I've had no problems with it and would recommend it to anyone. There are no programs but you can do your own interval work using one button to increase or decrease speed. The incline is motorised as well so you can change the gradient as you are running just as if you were running to a pre-set program. Size-wise it's very compact, quite tall though oh and it weights a tonne! It will mark wood or laminate flooring (not to mention make lots of noise!) but I spent £15 on some rubber treadmill jigsaw-type mats that protect floors and minimise noise/vibration from it.

Hope that helps you some. Happy running!

PS Treat yourself to some Sorbothane inserts - your knees will thank you in ten years time!
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PS Treat yourself to some Sorbothane inserts - your knees will thank you in ten years time!

nice! i may try them

I use gel inserts for the same reason but these seam much better, I also have nike air soled shoes and my treadmill has a fantastic shock reduction deck
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    friend has given me a £1200 pound one, me and my mum had to take it apart to get it in our house now we dont know how to put it back again. They want £100 to come out and see it!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Vikki* wrote: »
    friend has given me a £1200 pound one, me and my mum had to take it apart to get it in our house now we dont know how to put it back again. They want £100 to come out and see it!

Better to be safe then sorry- its alot of cash to aks for but see if they are going to give it safty checks too and a maintanance check. Trust me, injuries are no fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure