Can I remortgage on an unencumbered house ????

Options
13»

Comments

• property.advert
    Options
    Surely you can fudge the income side. 25k at 5% over 20 years is £165 repayment and £104 interest only.

If lenders will go to 4 x income, then income would only have to be a bit above £100 a week. Surely that can be "found" somewhere.

Maybe the husband pays rent ?
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £20-£25k seems a lot perhaps a break down

rewire?
    kitchen?
    bathroom?
    CC debt? (why has this mounted up?)

How does it seem a lot when you know nothing about the OP's house or what they want to do or the overall financial circumstances? As for the CC debt, it is what it is and I'm not sure what your question of why it has mounted up is any of our business
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Nightlight wrote: »
    20 - 25 i was told is the smallest amount that you'd get on a mortgage or remortgage and that was a better option than a bank loan.

A mortgage is the right way to go will be cheaper than most other options.

For this requirement an offset would be ideal.

Initialy you would be 100% offset so it would cost you nothing,

Draw down the money as you do each job but pay nothing for the money not used yet.

So while you have not drawn down the full amount you are in effect overpaying if you keep your payment at the full level.

One of the best offsets around is First direct.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    dwsjarcmcd wrote: »
    How does it seem a lot when you know nothing about the OP's house or what they want to do or the overall financial circumstances? As for the CC debt, it is what it is and I'm not sure what your question of why it has mounted up is any of our business

Its not BUT existing debt is potentialy a sign that spending excceds income.

So when you are about to secure and consolidate debt against your home it is important to undestand why the debt exists and have the causes under control.
  • Nightlight
    Options

So when you are about to secure and consolidate debt against your home it is important to undestand why the debt exists and have the causes under control.

The bulk of the debt exsists because we had to sort some debts that my husband accrued (hes naff with money, worse than me ) some 9 years before i met him!!! and also when my first son was born and was ill, and my husband was out of work, and the car died and we spent months of travelling to and from london etc and yes there have been times when its been 'ah bung it on the card' not the ideal way to sort things I know, but whats done is done !:o
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Agreed but it is important for the OP to understand that and manage the situation, which they appear to be doing. Not explaining themselves to strangers on a forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure