We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Remortgage - is this a good deal?

Options
I've been paying a fixed rate of 6.75% for 5 years, which has obviously been a poor deal.  The penalty period ends in October, and I'd like to book something soon, in case rates rise again.

I've seen a mortgage with Coventry BS, which is offering 4.8% on a variable rate which is guaranteed not to go higher than their SVR for the length of the mortgage, calculates interest daily, and has no redemption penalties.  It would cost about £450 to set up, however, which seems a lot.
http://www.remortgages.co.uk/frame_rates.asp?si=74C30304-D674-47EC-81CE-DEBAF46A6EC4

It's the first one listed.

I am looking for a repayment remortgage of 68k on a house worth about 275k, over 15 years.  I'd like a certain amount of security against rate rises, but am very wary of tying myself into another deal which turns out to be expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Does the Coventry deal look attractive, or does anyone know of a better one?

Comments

• Mortgage_Master
    Options
    Hi Lakelady,

It really depends on your priorities. If they keep to BOE + 0.3% the deal itself is excellent, especially for somebody that doesn't want to remortgage every so often, although it won't give you the protection you mention against any future interest rate rises. Also bear in mind, they haven't yet factored in last Thursday's BOE rise, therefore I expect their rate to rise to at least 5.05% very shortly. It doesn't have any tie in period which is a bonus.

On the downside, this deal isn't suitable for those looking for the budgeting certainty of a fixed/capped rate, and those who are prepared to remortgage every so often may get a better deal elsewhere.
    Please note that whilst I am a mortgage broker my comments on this site are intended as general discussion and NOT personalised mortgage advice. Please click on my name and follow the link to see a full regulatory disclosure.
  • lakelady
    lakelady Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I'll look about for a bit longer before deciding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport