PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freezer burned prawns

As the title says really,hoping you lovely guys can help. Bought peeled and cooked prawns from asda -ate some but froze rest (in two containers) on day of purchase. I froze them in old recycled take away containers and one of them must have a small hole or something because my prawns now have a bit freezer burn. I really fancy making a good tikka tonight and flinging in defrosted prawns in toward the end but will they be okay to eat. Ive cooked freezer burned chicken and pork before ,but I know that prawns can be funny ... thanks in advance
LL X
Thanks to MSE for making it possible for me save to buy my new flat , yay !!
Gorgeous baby boy born 7/7/11 :D

Comments

• They will be fine , freezer burn just means that they might be a little tasteless but that won't matter if they are going in a Tikka
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Aww thats great , thanks. I just wasnt sure with them being prawns , whenevr anyone at work gets a touch of food poisoning they always say it must have been a dodgy prawn and it always has me paraniod about them
    Thanks to MSE for making it possible for me save to buy my new flat , yay !!
    Gorgeous baby boy born 7/7/11 :D
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Perfectly safe to eat but texture might be a bit wooly. Freezer burn just means the surface has got dessicated during the freezing process.
    Val.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,991 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper Second Anniversary
    They'll be fine - but only put them in for the shortest possible time because cooked prawns go rubbery and chewy if cooked too long. They just need to be in the curry sauce long enough to warm through.

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.