Working Tax credits/jobseekers

I am unfortunately in the position that there are no jobs out there which are suitable for me and have just started on jobseekers. I have a few ideas for businesses that I might be able to start but the truth is that there is almost no chance I will turn over a profit at first. It is likely that any work I would do will merely cover expenses for the first while. So I understand that working tax credits may be an option for me. Can anyone explain a bit more?

I have been in full time employment up until Christmas last year so I have never had to think about this. What sort of tax credits are available? I am single, without dependents, over 25. Is the support available at least the equal of jobseekers? I would like to give it a shot but I understand I lose the jobseekers if I do because I would be working more than 16 hours (inspite of no actual income).

Any advice would be welcomed
Always overestimating...

Comments

• Choco
    Choco Posts: 271 Forumite
    Yes if you work over 16 hours per week you are not entitled to JSA. Why not ask in Dole office advice although it used to be you had to be unemployed for 26 weeks before you qualiified for anything. Also check with your local Enterprise Centre re start up programmes etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure