PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

chipped crockery, possible to repair?

Options
13»

Comments

• SadBunny
    Options
    While looking for repair advice I also found :
    "Lead is considered toxic and it's a key ingredient in millions of dinner plates, cereal bowls and other dishes we use every day ...
    Linda Hullett did stop using her favorite dinner plates after testing showed both the dishes and her daughter had high levels of lead ...
    WTHR found no common characteristic among the plates that yielded high lead content. Some featured bright colors and bold patters while others were plain white. Some of the plates came from China, England and Germany and others were produced in Italy, Japan and the United States. Some of the dishes were brand new and some are antiques...
    What to watch out for
    "If you have something that's old, if you have something that has little crackles in it, if you have something that's chipped, that could be a problem," Spence said. "Also, if you use a steak knife and you cut through the [plate's] surface, there could be something that comes through that little scratch. That's why it's better to use things that are not marked up. Let me put it this way ... if it's chipped, I wouldn't use it. If it's old and you found it in your grandma's attic, I might stay away from it." ...
    "The United States Environmental Protection Agency says exposure to lead can result in learning disabilities; attention deficit disorder; decreased intelligence; speech, language and behavior problems; poor muscle coordination; constipation; sleeping disorders; high blood pressure; muscle and joint pain; birth defects; and damage to the nervous system and kidneys. Government regulators say exposure to even low levels of lead can have a lifelong impact on a young child...
    "Because we ate off the plates, we were ingesting the lead and then passing it to her through my breast milk," McBride explained."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure