PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stains on frosted glass?

Options
Hi all,

Need a bit of cleaning advice - naughty ex-flatmate has left my lovely ikea table with grease stains all over it from chinese takeaways etc.

The table is a sort of frosted glass number, and the grease stains just won't budge - does anyone have any ideas on how to remove them?
June NSD's - 5/25 :(
Overdraft: was £2000, now £1740...getting there!
Card 1: £500, now £0
Card 2: £1200, now £0
Card 3: £250, now £0

Comments

• Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried water and vinegar? Normally shifts most stuff? I assume you can't scrub too hard with something abrasive like a microfibre cloth?
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • absolutebounder
    absolutebounder Posts: 20,305 Forumite
    Options
    Try a little soda crystals dislolved in water or even lemon juice.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    WD40 is a brilliant degreaser or try lemon juice and bicarb mixed with a little water. Methylated spirits is good for cleaning muck off glass too.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • squeezymeplease
    Options
    I wonder if any of you fantastic people could give me any tips here. My mum has 2 interior doors that are wood with glass panels on the top half. The glass is frosted in a design. She sprayed two of the panels with glass cleaner (windolene I would imagine) and went to wipe them, but the glass is just stained with the spray mark :huh: She hasn't touched them since!

Has anyone got any idea what we could use to remove the spray stains? And why this has happened? Also, what should we use to clean them from now on?

Thanks so much, am only new to this site so any tips greatly appreciated!!!
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, when I had a window cleaner he used Fairy in the water.
    Now I am more MSE I clean them myself with vinegar and water.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • aliballi
    Options
    Believe it or not the best smear free way of cleaning glass & mirrors I've come across is cornflower in warm water. I use a level desert spoon of CF to a bowl of warm water, wash with one cloth, dry with a second & polish with a 3rd absorbent cotton cloth.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    white vinegar is what I use to clean ALL glass products!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I have used the cornflour method too and it is brilliant it grabs all the dirt and leaves windows and glass smear free
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Squeezy, hope you got the stain removed ok.

There is another thread about removing stains from frosted glass, so I have added yours to that one to keep all the suggestions together.

Zippychick
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• squeezymeplease
    Options
    Hi, I thought I posted this here a few days ago but I can't find my post, although I thought I had a reply. I have searched for the thread but it says no post found.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on what I could use to remove a spray stain from frosted interior glass doors. my mum sprayed window cleaner on the glass panels of her livingroom door but when she wiped it, it had ran down the glass but didn't wipe, it just left a mark in the shape of the spray! She is afraid to put anything else on incase it makes it worse. She is hoping to sell her house soon, and really can't afford new doors or new panels but it is noticeable as only 2 of the 4 panels are stained so we need to do something.

Sorry for rambling on, I am still getting used to this site and my posts always seem to disappear before I get to read any replies!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback