S32 Question

Options
Berks_2
Berks_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi Guys,

I had a company pension for 10 years and I did a S32 transfer to Norwich Union now Aviva 23 years ago so a total of 33 years.
Now that I am 50 I would like to cash it in before the April deadline so I phoned up Aviva and the initial response was that my pension was locked until 65. :(

My question is:
Is there any way around this could I possible take it out of Aviva and put it somewhere else?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Berks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now that I am 50 I would like to cash it in

you cannot cash it in.
    Is there any way around this could I possible take it out of Aviva and put it somewhere else?

Yes.

However, the reason it is "locked" until 65 is almost certainly due to the guarantees that exist. Those guarantees could be larger lump sum entitlement (I frequently see aviva S32s with 100% TFC entitlement) or guaranteed minimum pension (which is usually much more than the fund value ever has a hope of achieving) or a guaranteed annuity rate or a combination of these.

Why do you want to access it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Berks_2
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks dunstonh for replying,

As I am not working and have recentley been diagnosed with diabetes and some other health problems I would rather have the money now if I could than wait untill 65.

I am not bothered about having a bigger lump sum if I left it in untill 65 so if it is possible to get it earlier then I would prefer to do that.

Regards

Berks
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I am not bothered about having a bigger lump sum if I left it in untill 65 so if it is possible to get it earlier then I would prefer to do that.

You can do it then but you shouldnt do it without first realising what you are giving up. It can be significant and not something you should do without knowing the facts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Berks_2
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice I will definately find out what I could be giving up.

Am I able to take it out early due to the ill health or is there another reason and would I be able to make the April deadline.

Regards

Berks
  • Berks_2
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You can do it then but you shouldnt do it without first realising what you are giving up. It can be significant and not something you should do without knowing the facts.

Hi Guys,

Dunstonh says I can take out my S32 Pension earlier can anyone explain how and whats involved and would I be able to make the April deadline.

Much appreciated

Berks
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Dunstonh says I can take out my S32 Pension earlier can anyone explain how and whats involved and would I be able to make the April deadline.

You would need to transfer it to a personal pension or SIPP that does unsecured pension income. You may find that many providers will treat a section 32 buy out bond as an occupational pension and require an IFA to sign off on it.

Time wise you are still just about ok. Most transfers take 2-3 weeks although a section 32 would possibly take longer. You are starting to cut it fine either way.
  • Berks_2
    Options
    Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills