cavity wall, help my nan

my nan and grandad have a well cold property. my nan is 67 grandad is a little younger (and has just been madfe redundant!!) they own a ground floor flat (converted house) they own the free hold but the guy that owns upstairs is quite unhelpful and a bit of an !!!!. I keep telling them to get cavity wall insulation pumped in but my nan insists that the guy upstairs wouldn't agree to it let alone pay towards. although she has worked all her life and is on a very low pension topped up by a very small income, she is not entitled to any benifits so niether is she entitled to any grants for this sort of work. I told her that surely as they own the freee hold then they must be able to just have the work done regardless of what the landlord of upstairs wants. can anyone shed some light on the situatin, can they just have it done without his consent? does he have an obligation to pay towards? can my nan get any financial help?
Thanks
dan

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Get your grandparents to ring their local COuncil and ask to speak to the home energy advice team - they should be able to help.

Also, contact your local Age Concern office as they may be able to check they are receiving everything they should and may be able to help with energy saving measures too.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you sure your grandparents own the freehold and not share of freehold? Big difference in terms of what can be done without the consent of the upstairs flat: check their deeds or long lease.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • thanks will get them to phone all those people. and yes they do own the freehold not just a share
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure