full and final settlement

Options
Hi Guys,

I have a debt of £387.18 with Freemans that has been passed to Moorcroft Pre Court Division. They've been pestering me for money and instead of sending my financial statement (where I would end up being told by some snotty so-and-so that I need to cut outgoings and justify every penny to her - this has happened before!) I asked for amount required for full and final settlement. After a bit of haggling i got it down to £290.38 - which is more than I wanted to pay - but acceptable.

So the guy on the phone asked me if I would pay it there and then, but I said that I would not pay anything until I had a letter from them confirming that they would accept this as full and final and would not chase me for remaining amount. So I should be getting this in the next few days.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for in terms of wording of their letter - I don't want to get the letter and then pay them, if their wording was ambiguous or maybe if they phrased it in such a way that they were expecting me to pay the rest too.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ta!
14 projects in 2014: 3/14

Comments

• jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on getting the F&F - why not copy the letter onto here when you have it and we'll pick out any holes in it.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Freemans are evil,they put a 6 year black mark on my wife,s credit rating making it impossible for her to get credit.Her crime to recruit a customer (as they ask you to do)this one however didnt pay for her goods.Freemans were kept informed to who was not paying but it still ended up with a court notice for the wife,even though her dad paid this before it went to court,freemans still put the black mark on her credit rating.This was 3 years ago since then her wages have doubled but she still cant get car loans,credit card etc,we can get a mortgage but cant get a loan to buy carpets etc.We,ve still got 3 years to go of this,so my advice would be to pay off balance and tell freemans to f!!k off.
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks jessicamb I think I'll do that.

When I pay them do I need to ask them to remove the default from my credit record or anything - so that it shows as settled - I know it will stay on my credit record til after 6 years of default, but I want to improve my credit rating.

Thanks
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • james32_uk
    james32_uk Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    Scott, obviously cant tell without a lot more detail but this doesnt sound right. Have you tried speaking to a credit agancy about this?
    Debt as at 12th July 2006 - £61,345 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Debt free 21st Oct 2011.

All thanks to :money:
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really can't see the problem. Presumably you ordered and received the goods and knew how much they were. Now you have to pay for them. Why are you asking them to reduce the price - or have I missed something here? Is this what everyone does? Is this why the goods are always so expensive? Why do you expect the cost of the goods you bought to be subsidised by everyone else?
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • davesgirl_2
    davesgirl_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    hi, luckycat99 :) i just settled a debt via moorcroft lat week only £30 off it (wish i had of haggled for more but it was my first time) anyway they were really nice and the chap said that he would send a reciept in the post along with comfermation that the amount was settled ;)
    debt in june 06:£6290:rolleyes:
    july 1st 06 : £5247.70
    july 20th 06 £4867:T
    hope to be debt free by : july 2007at the latest:D

dfw grocery challenge 20/07-20/08 £240
    spent so far - £75.57_____£164.43 left
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody who can a deal with Moorcroft has my respect all the y give me is a headache and a lot of abuse.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• scott_lithgows
    scott_lithgows Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    james23_uk wrote:
    Scott, obviously cant tell without a lot more detail but this doesnt sound right. Have you tried speaking to a credit agancy about this?
    Yeah have but just been banging our heads against a wall,the defaulter declared themselves bankrupt and the debt came back to the wife looking for immediate payment.It,s not a impossible problem as this all happened just when we started going out together,i already had a mortgage so it just means we save up for everything now(way i,ve always done it anyway) and any company which annoys me,Freemans,Abbey etc gets the account closed,but i do know that others arent in such a strong position,so my attitude is still pay the money and close the account in this case.Freemans make their money through agents,so if they dont have agents..........
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • Macduff_3
    Macduff_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I really can't see the problem. Presumably you ordered and received the goods and knew how much they were. Now you have to pay for them. Why are you asking them to reduce the price - or have I missed something here? Is this what everyone does? Is this why the goods are always so expensive? Why do you expect the cost of the goods you bought to be subsidised by everyone else?

Companies are willing to accept reduced lump sums as Full and Final settlements as they will recoup the cost of the goods/loan/service with bit left over as they just resign themselves to losing a bit of the interest on the debt.
    Most creditors will accept around 70% of the balance as a F&F settlement and some (mainly credit card companies) will accept less as they would rather lose the interest than have the debt paid in installments.
    That is why some companies will send you 'one-off settlement offer' letters, giving you a decent reduction if you pay in full within 7 days. For most people these offers aren't feasible but they are a good deal if you have access to the money.
    The goods are not expensive because of people not paying the full balance - the goods are expensive because the companies like to make a vast amount of profit.:eek:
  • Macduff_3
    Macduff_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    luckycat99 wrote:
    Is there anything in particular I should look out for in terms of wording of their letter - I don't want to get the letter and then pay them, if their wording was ambiguous or maybe if they phrased it in such a way that they were expecting me to pay the rest too.

What you need to look out for is the offer to register the debt as satisfied with credit reference agencies. A lot of creditors will accept a payment as settlement of the account and not chase you for the remaining balance but they will not register the debt as satisfied on your credit file, therefore not really helping at all. :mad:

If they offer to register it as satisfied, make sure you get a letter from them confirming that the balance is £0. Wait a few months (it can sometimes take a while for info to get to Experian et al) then get a copy of your credit file. If it is not registered as satisfied you can send a copy of the letter to Experian (or whoever) and they will update your file.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure