A good but cheap hairdresser in Bristol?

hanb
hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
Hi all,

I am new to Bristol and in desperate need of a haircut. Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere reasonably priced and good? The last place i tried butchered it so I’m a bit wary of trial and error now.

Somewhere on the Clifton side of the centre would be ideal but i'm not too bothered where it is.
Cheers

Han

Comments

• Hi I'm having to guess your gender. I'm female and go to Domini in Totterdown which is reasonably priced, not sure of prices for guys. Its on the bus route from Clifton. If you want really cheap then I can recommend Reflections Training Academy (supervised hairdressing students). Thats in the centre. Other than that I don't think the Clifton side of town or town at all is consistent with cheap haircuts I'm afraid though please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I go to Cuts & Curls in Lodge Causeway - it would be a bit of a trek for you though. If I have a wet cut only it's usually about a tenner.

I also recommend BHS in Broadmead, and I've had good cuts in Bauhaus (Bedminster) and Mark Justin on Gloucester Road. They are all around £30 for a cut and blow dry (although the latter two were free with Herbal Essences offer!)

What bus goes from Clifton to Totterdown?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can give you some pointers in Sea Mills and Shirehampton if you fancy getting the train from Clifton Down?

Also during term time, the students on the Ashley Down campus of City of Bristol College do hairdressing. It's cheap and they are well supervised, a colleague goes there quite regularly. Only downside is that it takes a while.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hanb
    Thanks for your replies. I've beenr ecommended the Gary Henry salon in Clifton village but the academy part - Apparently it's final year students who are well supervised and experienced and it'll cost about £15 for a cut and blow dry. Here's hoping it all goes well.. I'm female by the way :o)
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Wow, that is good - let us know how you get on!
  • The 54 goes from the top of Blackboy hill to Totterdown (Wells Rd)
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I might pay a visit to that salon, I pay £32 in Brislington.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • hanb
    Well the appointment is for after work tomorrow (they're open til 7pm which makes it hand as well as Sat and Sun) so i shall let you know how i get on. Oh the joy of moving to a new city.. everything such hard work!! Hehe. I'll find my way around eventually i'm sure. I hope.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You have my sympathy! It took me MONTHS to find a supermarket I was happy with ... which was easy to get to ... and didn't do my head in!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hanb
    So i did it. I must admit i was nervous but they did a good job. I'm a bit concerned my fringe is too short but everyone has told me it looks nice so i'm coming round to it a bit more. Although i was told it would only cost £15 i actually paid £19.80 - i've no idea why (I didn't realise until aftrerwards and it was too late to ask). But that said I can't complain because at normal price it would have been more than £50.

They were really friendly, i got offered comlpimentary drinks and they weren't looking down on us "models" at all, I felt like I was being treated the same as anyone else in there which was nice. I would recommend it to anyone that asked but i probably wouldn't want to risk going if i didn't know what i wanted doing.. But that's just me. I am considering visiting them again for a colour though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure