HSBC-Problems!

Options
Hi, unsure if this is in the right place!

So, when I was younger, I got in a bit of trouble with HSBC.

I had a credit card that started off as a £500 limit, and then because I kept going over it, they increased it to £3000. ( I was 18 and working part-time in a supermarket!)

On top of this, I had a personal loan of £2500 and a flexiloan of £1500 as well as a £500 overdraft.

Irresponisbile lending at its best I would say! (my fault for applying but they offered it to me when I phoned Telephone banking and I was 18 years old!!!)

Problems started when I began having trouble keeping within the overdraft. I was getting charged fees of up to £100 a month. This was taking a huge whack out of my income. So I changed bank accounts. I set up a standing order to pay back my OD. I did this for a while.

They would then not let me set a direct debit up from a different bank account to pay my loan (i still dont understand why). I stopped paying it, I could not afford to get overdraft within its limit as everytime I did, they would charge me again, put me over it, and then charge me for being OD because of their charges! (I know its in the TCs!)

I called them up and asked if I could put it all into one, no they said I was a risk for further lending. They offered me a 'manage loan' £200 a month for the next 10 years I think it was, anyway, I worked it out and it would have doubled my debt with them in interest alone, so I said no thanks, I would try and sort it out!

I borrowed money from my mum and paid of my Credit Card.

I kept getting phone calls (up to 8 a day) asking why I hadnt been paying my loan etc. I got nuermous letters saying all my accounts had been passed to debt collection agencies. I heard nothing. I went to branch, they couldnt help me, my account had gone. I waited. Nothing. All the while, interest, etc is being added on! I kept calling. Nothing could be done.

Finally got fed up, went to branch, demanded someone saw me to sort it out. My account had never been passed on. Asked again about manage loan, put me through, same price as before even though credit card paid off!!

I had a car accident (non-fault) and used my compensation to pay off my personal loan.

Once again I began getting phone calls etc etc. Sometimes they would call at 730am!!! sometimes at 10pm!!! Was very annoying!!!

Reclaimed bank charges-won...got every single bank charge back (not cc ones tho, didnt try.)

Called up to ask what I could do now with rest of debt, woman transferred it all over to overdraft without my consent. Cost me loads more in interest.

Had ANOTHER acident due to a drunk driver. Used compensation to pay off rest of debts with HSBC. (this was done in OCT 2008)

My story has been going on since 2002.

Now I am haing so much trouble getting anything due to this. Would I have a good case for getting the defaults removed?

Comments

• clb776
    clb776 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Options
    Also please dont comment that its my fault etc due to my irresponsibility! I know this is partly true but I was 18 years old. Immature, and liked having money!
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    clb776 wrote: »
    Hi, unsure if this is in the right place!

So, when I was younger, I got in a bit of trouble with HSBC.

I had a credit card that started off as a £500 limit, and then because I kept going over it, they increased it to £3000. ( I was 18 and working part-time in a supermarket!)

On top of this, I had a personal loan of £2500 and a flexiloan of £1500 as well as a £500 overdraft.

Irresponisbile lending at its best I would say! (my fault for applying but they offered it to me when I phoned Telephone banking and I was 18 years old!!!)

Problems started when I began having trouble keeping within the overdraft. I was getting charged fees of up to £100 a month. This was taking a huge whack out of my income. So I changed bank accounts. I set up a standing order to pay back my OD. I did this for a while.

They would then not let me set a direct debit up from a different bank account to pay my loan (i still dont understand why). I stopped paying it, I could not afford to get overdraft within its limit as everytime I did, they would charge me again, put me over it, and then charge me for being OD because of their charges! (I know its in the TCs!)

I called them up and asked if I could put it all into one, no they said I was a risk for further lending. They offered me a 'manage loan' £200 a month for the next 10 years I think it was, anyway, I worked it out and it would have doubled my debt with them in interest alone, so I said no thanks, I would try and sort it out!

I borrowed money from my mum and paid of my Credit Card.

I kept getting phone calls (up to 8 a day) asking why I hadnt been paying my loan etc. I got nuermous letters saying all my accounts had been passed to debt collection agencies. I heard nothing. I went to branch, they couldnt help me, my account had gone. I waited. Nothing. All the while, interest, etc is being added on! I kept calling. Nothing could be done.

Finally got fed up, went to branch, demanded someone saw me to sort it out. My account had never been passed on. Asked again about manage loan, put me through, same price as before even though credit card paid off!!

I had a car accident (non-fault) and used my compensation to pay off my personal loan.

Once again I began getting phone calls etc etc. Sometimes they would call at 730am!!! sometimes at 10pm!!! Was very annoying!!!

Reclaimed bank charges-won...got every single bank charge back (not cc ones tho, didnt try.)

Called up to ask what I could do now with rest of debt, woman transferred it all over to overdraft without my consent. Cost me loads more in interest.

Had ANOTHER acident due to a drunk driver. Used compensation to pay off rest of debts with HSBC. (this was done in OCT 2008)

My story has been going on since 2002.

Now I am haing so much trouble getting anything due to this. Would I have a good case for getting the defaults removed?

defaults only stay on your record for 6 years. no you dont have a case to get them removed as you were a bad debtor. you have already said you were young and immature too. i'm afraid this is a case of just learning from past experiences which it sounds like you have. sounds like someones made a bit of a !!!! up on your accounts though so that may go in your favour. good luck though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure