🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

so angry with HSBC

Options
they have charged me £50 this month for going over my overdraft twice. the only reason this happened was because i am transferring my account to first direct (to get the free £50 - wasnt really worth it, hey?!) and my direct debits are a bit all over the place.

as soon as i realised i was over my limit, i transferred money to get back into my limit and then called them straightaway. they said the system automatically generates the charges and they cannot take them off! i went mad! I have a current and 2 savings accounts with them as well as an ISA and a loan.

i'm so angry i am going to close all my accounts AND i am going to claim back all my bank charges. worked it out last night and they owe me about £150. i wasnt going to bother but seeing as they are being like this with me they are going to get it now!!

so angry!
***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)

Comments

• wuckfit
    wuckfit Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    since all the banks claim that the charge is for manual human intervention, the admission that 'the system automatically generates the charges' is a biggie and I think it could be used in court to prove that the charges are purely punitive (not to mention revenue generating) and therefore illegal in law.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i thought first direct are owned by HSBC?

did you transfer the DDs yourself or did you let firstdirect do the transfer? If First direct did the transfer do they offer any guarentees about the transfer process and so may compensate you for the your charges.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you close your ISA, make sure that you transfer the funds into another ISA rather than just withdrawing the money.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, First Direct is operated by HSBC. So if you are transferring to FD then I don't think HSBC will be too bothered by you closing your accounts, sadly.

However that could work in your favour. Have you actually been into your branch to talk to a person? Because they CAN overturn charges if they want to. Don't go on the offensive, explain the problem to them and especially that you are changing your account from HSBC to First Direct. They may be more sympathetic in person. Don't go down the reclaiming charges route until you have tried face-to-face.
  • winkle1
    winkle1 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for all your tips, guys. i will go into HSBC tomorrow and have a word with them.
    ***PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT***

Reclaimed my bank charges - got £250 back from HSBC and £88 from First Direct :)
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Of course they can take it off. They do it as a "gesture of goodwill" (sic) all the time!
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family