Sending my letters off today ...

Options
As the title suggests, sending the pro-rata letters off to each creditor - fingers crossed they accept it though I'm well prepared for them to say no.

What has been other people's experience of how long they take to respond?
Lightbulb moment - 30/06/06 :eek:

Total debt at lightbulb moment (June 06) - £46042 :eek:

Comments

• joolz43
    joolz43 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    My only bit of advice here would be that with some companies the letters might as well not be sent! I have had some very good responses, the funniest being HSBC credit card refusing then accepting my offer in two letters in the same day. At the same time MBNA are just ignoring the fact I have written and HSBC (loan and overdraft) are doing the same.

Some will write within days and some you won't hear from at all. Some will pass the debt to a third party if they want to.
    Julie

Proud to have dealt with my debts
    Debt July 2006 circa £55K
    Now Debt Free!!!! :j
  • isgman
    isgman Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    My Advice is even if they "at first" say no to your offer.. keep sending the "offer payment", a few of mine after several months said OK to my offer, and a few "sold" the debt on to another company, and they have saud OK... Good Luck
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    All the companies differ in their response times,as already said some don't bother and deny receiving anything from you,and others wiil respond a couple of days later.The way the companies accept offers differs with the weather,although at first MBNA were the worst with us,they were the first to accept our offer ,then EGG,then GE capital,LLoyds still deny any DMP and won't accept anything proposed to them,but after comig on here I have learned to try and put things to the back of my mind and sort of get on with life in the knowledge that I am doing all I can to pay back this debt,if the creditors want to play dirty,let them,they soon realise that doesn't get their money.
    Good luck with the letters,but expect some phone calls!
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • rescuethemall
    Options
    Thanks for your help - I know we dont answer witheld calls anyway, so if it's that important I guess they'll leave a message.
    Lightbulb moment - 30/06/06 :eek:

Total debt at lightbulb moment (June 06) - £46042 :eek:
  • nillhouse
    nillhouse Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    3 out of the 5 Creditors I sent letters to replied within 5 weeks, 1 in 7 weeks, and the last, HFC, took 11 weeks to acknowledge I even existed,

so dont give up hope, because, although it seems that way, they just dont share your sense of urgency, or are playing their own rules!
    Tescos latest enemy.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport