PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

knitting patterns for wrist/arm warmers

Options
I've been looking for patterns for some armwarmers I thought it would be something I could knit up for my grandaughters but I can't find any that I like , they all look chunky and thick I want to knit some that are more decorative than functional as some of those that I see I know the girls would think look old fashioned, I was going to knit with some of that multicolour wool but a thin ply not DK or chunky wool... I don't really know much about yarn and ply etc maybe someone could point me in the right direction.. as I say I have looked but not found what I like...
#6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Comments

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    What age are your granddaughters, Tanith? I made some fingerless mittens for my daughter who is 14 and rather gothy - they were in purple 4-ply wool and had a cabley pattern on which COULD look "classic" but actually went with the whole Goth look.

There are loads of these on ravelry - if you're not a member, do sign up, it's free, and gives you access to brilliant stuff
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are these any use to you? I think it's an American pattern so it might need a bit of translating in terms of needle sizes, but they look quite simple.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of links on this site: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/mittens_gloves.php

I love the Lace-Up Opera Gloves ( http://ysolda.com//wordpress/lace-up-opera-gloves/ )- but maybe NOT QUITE what your DD is thinking of ;).

There's a lovely dainty pair with beads on that could be made a bit longer -http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Knitting/Projects/TV+Projects/KTV2024K+Lacy+Beaded+Fingerless+Gloves.htm
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Options
    I've knitted dozens of fingerless gloves/wristwarmers in all sorts of yarns, both plain and fancy lacy, cabled and fairisle, long and short.

I always come back to my basic pattern. Here goes....

Small hands - use 3.5 - 3.75mm double pointed needles and double knit yarn
    Medium hands - use 4mm dpns and double knit yarn
    Larger hands - use aran wool on 4.5mm dpns

Cast on 39 stitches and divide between 3 DPNs
    (I put 12 stitches on the first needles, 13 on the second and 14 on the 3rd, so I know where I'm up to)

20 rows of k2, p1 rib. (10 rows if you want shorter wristers)

7 rows of knit

Start thumb gusset. Knit 5, place marker, k1 and increase by knitting into the front and back of the stitch , k1, K1 and increase by KFB, place marker, K5. (You now have 5 stitches between the markers) Continue round.

Increase the thumb gore by 2 stitches every 3rd round until you have 15 stitches between the markers. Knit to the thumb gore (5 stitches on the 1st needle) and thread some wool through the thumb stitches - come back to them later to knit up the thumb. Cast on three stitches over the gap and knit the other 5 stitches on needle one.

Work 6 knit rows

Work 6 rows of k2, p1 rib.

Cast off.

Go back to the thumb. Pick up 15 stitches from your yarn and divide between 3 DPNs. (7 on needle 3, 6 on needle 2, and 2 on the needle 1 ( nearest the place where you joined the stitches between the thumb gore). Create another 3 stitches on top of the thumb gore and place on needle one. Knit 3 rows, rib 6 rows, cast off.

Hope that helps.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone lots of links for me to look at there, I am just dashing out the house but will take a good look when I am back.. Kay that looks really easy thanks so much, I will give it a go I have to buy the needles and yarn...
    ChocClare ,my grands are 15 and 16 and purple is the colour they like, well more like a blackberry colour and what you suggest sound perfect..

can't wait to get started now just have to find the right wool colour... wish me luck...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure