Self Assessment Help

Hello

In August 2009 I started some mystery shopping, I registered as self employed around the same. I received a self assessment pack to fill in for 08/09, I thought it would be really easy to do as I wasn't self employed during this time. I completed the self assessment online and put in what I earned from my full time job and what tax I paid - I earned 17587.43 and paid 2255.60 in tax. The taxman is now saying I owe £55.40. Does this mean my employer has made a mistake? And how do I pay the £55.40 they are saying I owe, can they not just change my tax code for next year? This is the 1st time I've ever had to do this and I'm completely lost, please help!! Thanks!

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does this mean my employer has made a mistake?

Can't really say without knowing your final Code number for 08-09. But if you had the standard code of 603 ...... then the tax due would have been £2310.40 (ie your £55.40 underpayment) :-

http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php?c=1&yr=2008&age=0&add=0&code=&pension=0&time=1&ingr=17587&vw%5B%5D=yr&vw%5B%5D=mth&vw%5B%5D=wk (change the year to 08-09 if it doesn't hold the figures)
    And how do I pay the £55.40 they are saying I owe, can they not just change my tax code for next year?

Yes .... for underpayments under £2000. Did you tick the box asking if you wanted that done. If not ring them .... but it will be coded out 2011-12 normally.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • nikki2804
    nikki2804 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mikeyorks wrote: »

Yes .... for underpayments under £2000. Did you tick the box asking if you wanted that done. If not ring them .... but it will be coded out 2011-12 normally.

Return normally needs to have been done before December for the tax to be taken through the code. I would approach your employer though. Is it possible you have missed out pension payments or something that would explain the underpaid tax?
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The way it's written I had assumed the OP was looking at a paper Statement (....... and I confess to having temporarily forgotten the rather quaint 30 Dec caveat :p)
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Thanks for your help guys, looks like I will just have to pay it today then! :-( I will check with payroll tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure