bankruptcy

Options
Can anyone help me as i went bankrupt on 12th oct 2009. The C A B helped me all the way,but i thought the way i was adviced that i go to court and pay my fees over and that was that but it doesn't seem so straight forward as that. I have the insolvancy services now dealing with me, they asked me to get information to them which i already had done to the courts, then i received a letter from the insolvancy asking for me sign something to put me on 0 code tax which i am not really understanding and pay £220 per month but they said it is only until the end of the tax year or to the end of the bankruptcy (not sure as the letter didn't give persific dates)They have told me to send my last three wage slips to them(solicitor acting for them)
and every wage slip until they let me know. I still haven't had my 0 coding yet, my pervious wage slips that i have sent to them i have paid alot more tax due to overtime so i had so money for xmas as my december wages was on the 25th Dec 2009 and i get a personal cheque so then have to wait for 4 days to clear so does this mean they will want more off me than i stated earlier. And to top everything i am still getting the debt letters and phone calls. I really don't understand i was told you go to court pay the money(in which my family members paid for) hand of all the paperwork and that was that but this isn;t the case.Please can anyone help as CAB carn't understand it especially because i have no disposable income :(

bankruptcy 2 votes

what is 0 tax code
50%
maxmycardagain 1 vote
money/debt
50%
maxmycardagain 1 vote

Comments

• jammie1
    jammie1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2010 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Its not as straight forward as taking your papers in and that being the end of it. Did you get an interview with the OR after going br. Mine was about a week later and during the phone call they went through all my paperwork and explained the nil tax code etc. Basically you get give an nil tax code so when you get paid you don't pay any tax, you pay the additional amount you receive (the amount you would have usually paid in tax) to the OR (although most people seem to pay it to moonbeaver I am sending mine direct to the OR) Sounds like £220 is the additional you will receive when you nil tax code comes into force, you will not need to start paying this until the tax code is in place, so when you see it on you pay slip you will notice that you have been paid more. They will have taken this figure from previous pay slips. I went br in July and my nil tax code didn't start until November. HTH
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    money/debt
    davhanna4 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me as i went bankrupt on 12th oct 2009.

we try

The C A B helped me all the way,but i thought the way i was adviced that i go to court and pay my fees over and that was that

more or less

but it doesn't seem so straight forward as that. I have the insolvancy services now dealing with me, they asked me to get information to them which i already had done to the courts, then i received a letter from the insolvancy asking for me sign something to put me on 0 code tax which i am not really understanding and pay £220 per month but they said it is only until the end of the tax year or to the end of the bankruptcy (not sure as the letter didn't give persific dates)

you have an IPA, in fact two maybe, the tax one will end april 2010
    the other (if calculated) will run for 3 years)

They have told me to send my last three wage slips to them(solicitor acting for them)

so do it

and every wage slip until they let me know.

see above

I still haven't had my 0 coding yet,

can take months

my pervious wage slips that i have sent to them i have paid alot more tax due to overtime so i had so money for xmas as my december wages was on the 25th Dec 2009 and i get a personal cheque so then have to wait for 4 days to clear so does this mean they will want more off me than i stated earlier.

ask em

And to top everything i am still getting the debt letters and phone calls.

pass to your OR and/or copy your BO and send all a copy

I really don't understand i was told you go to court pay the money(in which my family members paid for) hand of all the paperwork and that was that but this isn;t the case.

no, if you have over £99 pcm surplus income they want 50-70% of it

Please can anyone help as CAB carn't understand it especially because i have no disposable income :(

do an SOA, maybe your figures are wrong?

do as if BR, i.e. no debts to pay

http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    Options
    You should have had forms to sign at the start which set out your responsibilities in the bankruptcy which include co-operating with the OR who's duties include investigating your conduct and realising assets. If you are not sure what is happening the first thing to do is to ask them.
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure