Payment Holiday-Loan

I have a loan which is due to finish in May. When I originally took the loan I was in fulltime employment, but have since returned to fulltime education. My money is very tight just now and I thought I would be able to apply for either a payment holiday of around 2-3 months or reduce the payments..apparently not!! I have been advised by HBOS that in order to make an arrangement for payment I need to allow the loan to go into arrears and then I will be dealt with by collections!! I have a perfect credit history and have not once missed a payment on this loan...I cannot believe that a bank would advocate such a policy and not offer help to people in this (I am sure) familiar situation. Is this common practise? Does anyone have any experience of this or have any advice as to how I might proceed with this or am I just stuck with the situation??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    What surprises me more, is that people seem to think they have a RIGHT not to repay or take payment breaks when they like.

SOME loan companies allow payment breaks, but you really should have investigated that BEFORE taking out the loan.

You shouldn't feel annoyed with anyone but yourself unfortunately.
  • Hi ,

Thank you for your opinion, it is certainly valid and I do agree to some extent. I would just like to clarify..I never said I was annoyed and nor did I say I felt I had a RIGHT to a payment break. I clearly stated I was suprised that a bank would rather allow customers to fall into arrears before offering help.

Also, I thought this was a forum to help people...not to vent against others :(:(
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Hi ,

Thank you for your opinion, it is certainly valid and I do agree to some extent. I would just like to clarify..I never said I was annoyed and nor did I say I felt I had a RIGHT to a payment break. I clearly stated I was suprised that a bank would rather allow customers to fall into arrears before offering help.

Also, I thought this was a forum to help people...not to vent against others :(:(

What sort of help are you looking for?
  • I am just interested to hear if anyone who might have been in the same situation and has had any sucess in achieving a break or reduced payments and if so what they did to achieve it? I realise the chances are slim, but htere is no harm in trying :)
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2010 at 9:21PM
    I have a loan which is due to finish in May. When I originally took the loan I was in fulltime employment, but have since returned to fulltime education.
    A lifestyle choice, presumably.
    My money is very tight just now and I thought I would be able to apply for either a payment holiday of around 2-3 months or reduce the payments
    Why? What made you think that you could borrow money and then, when it suits, not pay for a few months?

It's a genuine question. I am not aware of any loan facility that offers that sort of flexibility (edit: the list of those that do is growing down the thread - so I hold my hands up on this one!).

A credit card may have the option to drop to a minimum payment. A mortgage may have a payment holiday option subject to terms and conditions being met. But I'm not aware of it on a loan anywhere. Quite happy to be corrected by other posters though.
    ..apparently not!! I have been advised by HBOS that in order to make an arrangement for payment I need to allow the loan to go into arrears and then I will be dealt with by collections!!
    Sorry, but you want to miss payments because you became a student. How did you expect them to react?

Even if they allowed it, there would need to be some part of the company that looks after the process. Collections would seem to be the most obvious place.
    I have a perfect credit history and have not once missed a payment on this loan...I cannot believe that a bank would advocate such a policy and not offer help to people in this (I am sure) familiar situation.
    Where people have financial difficulties they may agree reduced payments. This would be dealt with by collections. Is that not help?
    Is this common practise?
    Yes.
    Does anyone have any experience of this or have any advice as to how I might proceed with this or am I just stuck with the situation??
    You created the situation. You're stuck with it. I think you have been exceptionally naive if you expect a lender to let you off paying for a few months.
    I clearly stated I was suprised that a bank would rather allow customers to fall into arrears before offering help.
    Agreed arrears is, surely, help. But it will no doubt lead to a factual record being placed on credit referency agency records.
    Also, I thought this was a forum to help people
    It is. But sometimes help can come in the form of having reality spelled out. There is little point telling you that the big bad bank is being nasty to you. They're not.

Welcome to the real world of banking. Where you sign an agreement saying that you will pay them back every month and they expect you to stick to it.

(Some Halifax loan agreements do allow you to vary the direct debit collection date by 14 days either way. It's possible that this could fit well with when you receive whatever income you have ... effectively buying you what feels like a 1 month payment holiday - just a thought).

The Halifax Web Site is quite specific.
    You cannot miss a payment and 'catch up' the following month. If you miss a monthly payment, or are late in making a payment, you will be charged a late payment fee of up to £25 which will be registered with a Credit Reference Agency and could affect your credit rating.

If your loan starts with 7/- 08457 24 34 44 (lines open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-6pm)
    If your loan starts with 84- 08457 44 44 55 (lines open Mon-Fri 8am-10pm, Sat 8:30am-6pm, Sun 9:30am-5:30pm).
  • Hi there,

No, I was made redundant and could not find another job, I decided to return to university so I could retrain instead of signing on. I know that Egg offer this facility for loans, but obviously I have been naive in thinking all banks offered this facility.

Thanks for your honest opinion :):)
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2010 at 9:32PM
    No, I was made redundant and could not find another job, I decided to return to university so I could retrain instead of signing on.
    Gotcha!
    I know that Egg offer this facility for loans, but obviously I have been naive in thinking all banks offered this facility.
    Only for loans taken out before 19th September 2007 (although impressed that you spotted it):

If you applied for your loan before 19 September 2007, you can take up to three monthly payment breaks in any 12 month period. To qualify for this you need to have made your last three payments, in full and on time, and your account must be up to date. To arrange a payment break please phone our Lending Team on 08456 ...
    Thanks for your honest opinion :):)
    Not always popular, but I try ;) .

good luck!
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    God some people on here are awful!

Sorry OP I can offer no advise

But opinions4u - Lloyds offer payment holidays on their loans, so yes there is such a thing.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/loans/repayment_hols_product.asp
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    God some people on here are awful!

I can't see anyone being "awful" in this thread, I just see people saying it "like it is"

The DFW board is full of hugs and cuddles, out here people tend to give good advice, but give it straight.

The OP comes across as having a chip against the uncaring attitude of HBOS, where it isn't the fault of HBOS at all.
  • What surprises me is that HBOS are not willing to offer a realistic solution No wonder, I suppose, considering the mess they have got themselves in to recently. It beggars belief that the only help you were offered is to default on your loan. Very sensible.

Well OP, just think of all the advice/opinions you have been given by the various luminaries on this site.

Now you know what you should have done!! Really helpful!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure