Harassing Calls

Options
evherkes
evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I was foolish enough to research unsecured loans online. Since monday I have been pestered and bombarded by so many companies I am unable to keep track. I have also had text messages. I made a point of calling or answering all of their calls yesterday asking them to please remove me as I am no longer interested. So far today I have had a minimum of 12 text messages, 3 voicemails and 15 phone calls.

Is there anything I can do (without having to block the numbers manually) as some are with-held and I often also receive with-held calls which are work related) or any letter templates etc I can use to politely or forcefully tell them to stop immediately as they are not only wasting my phone battery but wasting my time and patience!

Thank you,
Emily :A

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    you provided them with your number and now they are calling trying to sell something they believe you have an interest in buying.....you might have to change your number.
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never EVER use your correct personal details until you have found the deal you want and have researched the company.

You can then go back into the application and change:

Mr Mgudjfhjdfgfb
    23, dfjhlkj rd
    kdlpggfdss
    kjfdf
    pl3was

Tel 0128338749349
    Email: kfdhdf@gihdj.cvs
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    OMG I did that once when researching life insurance, I gave out my phone number, doh, within seconds of me filling my online form...the house phone started ringing!! P!$$ed me right orf.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • wannabe_super_saver
    Options
    Google the Telephone Preference Service. Register and the calls will stop after a week or so. It sort of bars your number from theses clowns lists.
  • honeybee3939
    Options
    Hi

I registered with BT for a 2nd home phone number, when any of my family ring i know its them because the phone rings in the proper dialing tone - anybody other than my family, i have given them another number and when they ring my home it rings a different tone,so i know its not family or friends . It costs £2.50 a month with BT and theres no contract time.

I like the idea of the false address and phone numbers though when filling in forms that dosnt cost a penny !

Honeybee
  • JamieT1977
    Options
    Write to them asking them to stop, there is a template on here you may be able to amend (the template is based on harassment by telephone regarding debts)

If I find it I will post
  • JamieT1977
    JamieT1977 Posts: 174 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2010 at 3:17PM
    Options
    This may be suitable (all be it with amendments to suit your case)

Company Name
    Road
    Town
    City / County
    Postcode

FORMAL COMPLAINT - HARASSMENT BY TELEPHONE.

Account Number: XXXXXXX .........................REMOVE

Dear Sirs,

This letter is not an admission of liability of any alleged debt to your company or client!..............REMOVE

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only. ..............REMOVE

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Please treat this also as a formal complaint under the procedures set out by the Financial Ombudsman (FOS). As such, you are required to send me a copy of your company complaints procedure.

Furthermore, please note that the FOS consider it 'unfair'for you to continue with phone calls when requested not to do so.

FAO: Data Controller of (creditor/DCA) - Section 10 notice under the Data Protection Act 1998

I withdraw my consent (under s.10 of the DPA) for you to process my personal data with respect to my personal or work telephone numbers registered with you or stored on your systems/records.

The processing and use of these numbers is causing significant distress.

Advice from The Consumer Credit Counselling Service and the Information Commissioner indicates that your retention of contact details in the form of a correspondence address is sufficient to fulfil contractual obligations............REMOVE

This request supersedes any contractual provision that you may claim exists, and any attempt to claim otherwise will not be accepted or tolerated.REMOVE

Under the DPA you have 21 days to respond to this request, and 28 days to cease processing and/or remove the data from your systems. Future use of my telephone number will be recorded and will indicate a breach of my request under the DPA, this will result in a complaint being raised with the Information Commissioner.

You will be deemed to have been served notice of my request and I will deem it served by (FULL DATE), I am advising you that any calls received after this date will be recorded with the intention of them being used as evidence.

Yours faithfully,

Ms A.N. Other
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family